The IBLS URL has expired and UNAVAILABLE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Glenn Brooks

Re: The IBLS URL has expired and UNAVAILABLE

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Thanks Daris!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Is it possible to have Chaski host a mirror of the IBLS site and vice-versa? Then all would not be lost in a worst case scenario.
Thanks,
SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
Atkinson_Railroad

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

There is no product manufactured or service made available for purchase known as History.

You have to build and maintain your very own. The IBLS site has been slowly trekking forward
providing a navigable glimpse into our hobby passion and past.

I especially like the feature of being able to download content into a PDF format for printing.
Written material on paper does not require electricity to read.

I sensed the site was not gone for good... but unlike when the power goes out from a passing
storm, content posted on the Internet does not always come back on.

There's a sense of relief the IBLS site is back up and shining. At least until the next storm passes through.

Thank you Daris for your tireless and "stick-to-it" work on the site.

John
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:05 am There is no product manufactured or service made available for purchase known as History.

You have to build and maintain your very own. The IBLS site has been slowly trekking forward
providing a navigable glimpse into our hobby passion and past.

I especially like the feature of being able to download content into a PDF format for printing.
Written material on paper does not require electricity to read.

I sensed the site was not gone for good... but unlike when the power goes out from a passing
storm, content posted on the Internet does not always come back on.

There's a sense of relief the IBLS site is back up and shining. At least until the next storm passes through.

Thank you Daris for your tireless and "stick-to-it" work on the site.

John

Ditto the thanks to Daris. And to those behind Chaski as well.

A lesson I learned a long time ago: If you see something on the net you think you will want in the future, as John has suggested, download it right away. The net is an ephemeral thing and I've lost things in just 24 hours by failing to do that. And, of course, we all have external backup drives attached to our computers, right? John is correct, paper does not disappear in a pile of zeroes and ones. I've got a whole file drawer full of such paper. Worth the minor trouble to print.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

SteveR I hadn't thought about a mirror, but if Chaski or anyone else is interested in mirroring the IBLS content then I'd be all too glad to work with them.

Regarding lost content, that is a big part of the work I do on the IBLS website, that is, capture lost or soon-to-be-lost content. This not only includes old websites that have disappeared, but old publications that are hard to get. This include "The Model Craftsman", "The Modelmaker", etc. I have spent a small fortune purchasing these old publications as they come available. Here is an exhaustive list:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=IBLS_Library

Much of this old material is in the IBLS website. I walk the tight-rope of respecting copyright while making orphaned material of worth available for current use. Our Live Steam hobby is unique in that material published in 1930 is still just as valid today.

Thank you for all your support and well wishes. I'm having a blast working in the IBLS, and it has been a great education for me. I came to the hobby as just someone who loves trains, but with no practical experience. I didn't even know how a steam locomotive worked, but I do now!

I will keep the IBLS going as long as I can, but it would be nice to have help and a backup plan in case I get hit by a bus.

Happy steaming!
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org