"Steam Queen" model project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steamer Al

"Steam Queen" model project

Post by Steamer Al »

Hi Folks! What a great forum this is, seeing as I dont have any fellow modellers in my neighborhood (that Ive discovered yet) its nice to have somewhere to come to!

I've got a small collection of stationary models, mostly inherited from my grandfather. He was a true steamer big and small, having worked in saw mills and steam plants his whole life, owned and restored a 1906 sawyer massey traction engine, built a few models (including one in the machine shop of the navy ship he served on during the war), and built the boiler and compound engine for his dream boat the "Steam Queen".

Enter my current project: a 1:6th scale version of my grandfathers boat! I found the plans he had for the Weston Farmer "Diana" hull, including the modifications he had done to make it a little more seaworthy for ocean cruising. My hull is yellow cedar on plywood frame, boiler of my design, and for the time being Ill use an oscillating twin my Dad and Brother built when he was a kid. I am currently studying engine design, and will slowly design a twin cylinder reversing engine with Stephenson valve gear.

Aplogies for the long winded introduction!

Al
Attachments
20200518_223907.jpg
20201016_095315.jpg
20201007_140335.jpg
NP317

Re: "Steam Queen" model project

Post by NP317 »

Welcome aboard, Al.
Do post your location under your name.
You might be surprised who crawls out of the woodwork.

This year I finished the restoration of a 17' historic steam launch and appreciate the model you are creating.
RussN
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

NP317 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:26 pm Welcome aboard, Al.
Do post your location under your name.
You might be surprised who crawls out of the woodwork.

This year I finished the restoration of a 17' historic steam launch and appreciate the model you are creating.
RussN
Thanks Russ! Sounds like a neat launch- what do you have for an engine?
Al
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Al:
It has one of the 32 famous power plants built by Cliff Blackstaffe and Eric (?) Wood during the 1960s.
Steeple compound with a 3-drum Blackstaffe boiler with 10 sq. feet of heating surface.
My boat has a new Blackstaffe-design boiler inside the original shell.
It is a remarkable machine. I'm still learning how to operate it.
RussN
IMG_3238.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Sheesh! Inverted photos. Must be Australian.
I've posted them before and they appeared normal.
'Wonder what changed? "Got a virus?
RussN
Steamer Al

Post by Steamer Al »

NP317 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:40 am Sheesh! Inverted photos. Must be Australian.
I've posted them before and they appeared normal.
'Wonder what changed? "Got a virus?
RussN
Haha does your toilet flush backwards?

Beautiful boat! My grandpa was a good friend of Cliffe Blackstaffe, neat to see some of his equipment.

Al
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thanks, Al.
I see your location is in Comox, BC. Beautiful place to live, with a significant steam logging history.
I lived in Seattle for 45 years and had many a fun visit to locations on Vancouver Island, eh.
Rode the Bud cars on the rail line several times. Engineered and road behind several steam locos there too, both large and small.
Restored Hillcrest Logging Co Climax #10 in 1981, in Tacoma WA. Engineered it for one summer at the Mt. Rainier Scenic Railroad.

Your G-father was fortunate to know Cliff Blackstaffe. He was a major reason for the large number of steam launches in the Pacific NW, 60+ at this time.
Vancouver Island, BC History.

Keep us posted on your progress.
RussN