Might try widening an LGB loco to 3/4" scale. Anyone seen that done?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Might try widening an LGB loco to 3/4" scale. Anyone seen that done?

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I would also encourage you to go out to visit a live steam club near you. Would be good to know where you are located. You can then find out what clubs are around you and what gauge of track they have available. In my case, in the South Eastern US, if you are into anything live steam bigger than G scale (gauge 1) that isn't 7 1/2" inch gauge, then you are a lone wolf out there doing your own thing. There are no tracks that I know of anywhere south of St. Louis or Cincinnati that has anything smaller than 7 1/2" gauge, at least not within any driving distance from me. Might be something in Florida or a private track out there somewhere, but that would be it.

If you can machine parts and have access to equipment to work on, then that's half the battle right there.
shild

Post by shild »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:52 pm What I think you will find is that nothing that you will work on or modify to put on your electric locomotive will translate over to a live steam locomotive later on. Steam Locomotives are built with the end in mind, and so many parts of them have to be designed to work together, so I don't think you'll get very far towards your goal doing it in this manner.
Maybe. Perhaps it would have been better if I had said I want to do a proper chassis, but just put the Bachman boiler and cab on as a dummy until I can learn to build a proper one.
shild

Post by shild »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:01 pm I would also encourage you to go out to visit a live steam club near you. Would be good to know where you are located. You can then find out what clubs are around you and what gauge of track they have available. In my case, in the South Eastern US, if you are into anything live steam bigger than G scale (gauge 1) that isn't 7 1/2" inch gauge, then you are a lone wolf out there doing your own thing. There are no tracks that I know of anywhere south of St. Louis or Cincinnati that has anything smaller than 7 1/2" gauge, at least not within any driving distance from me. Might be something in Florida or a private track out there somewhere, but that would be it.

If you can machine parts and have access to equipment to work on, then that's half the battle right there.
I go to Waushakum with an excellent high line. No high lines near you huh? 7 1/2" gauge would be too prohibitive for me!
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

If you are not a member of a local club, I would suggest maybe joining one. Before you work on a riding train like that, work on maintaining the track that you will be using. If after doing that for a while, you still feel like building one, volunteer to help out on a few run days. This will allow you to see what is involved with a boiler and locomotive before you try to build one. If your desire starts to die out after seeing how much work there is to build and maintain track and a locomotive, congratulations. You are now in the majority and can discuss your experiences as a new member of the local model railroad club.

Member since 1982
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Give the original poster some encouragement. not discouragement.
As a young teenager I wanted a live steamer to ride behind on the 5 inch gauge track for which I had an electrically driven engine.
I did not have the skill or knowledge to build a proper engine.
I took a Mamod stationary engine, lots of Meccano gears and parts, and a few other bits of junk found in Dads shop and built a sort of loco.
It pulled me at a pace better measured by a calender than a watch !
56 years later I have a house full of steamers, ranging from a 4 inch Scale Clayton steam wagon to a little traction engine I can lift with one hand, and from a Juliet to a 7 and a quarter gauge Dart. I ave built some, bought some and rebuilt some.
But I still get a thrill when thinking of riding behind a Mamod !
regards David Powell.
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

I am encouraging the guy Dave. To get involved with a club where he can get information and "schooling" on what needs to be done and what to avoid. If you are in it for the long haul, then put some effort into it and learn from those who know the ropes. I did the mamod thing too when I was a kid. On my own with a perfect plan to build this engine and boiler. No help required. I knew what I was doing. Would have worked too but the electrical tape that held the boiler ends on failed while the boiler was heating up and all the water drained out. Seemed like good tape. Did I ever tell you about the gauge glass with a bend in it that I thought would work?
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks Steve, Thanks David. Have not paid for a memerbership but have helped maintain track at Waushakum at current location and previous Norfolk street location. Biggest thing holding me back is probably making the boiler, I'm confident about doing something like the frame rails.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

My suggestion would be to start on something. If I were you I would buy the book Pennsylvania A3 by Kozo Hiraoka, and start on that. Either that or the Raritan by Bill Morewood. Either is a perfect beginner locomotive in 3/4" scale. Kozo especially describes things very well and makes things seem straight forward, including the copper boiler. If you can build a chassis and it runs, then you can build the boiler. It's a different skill set, but you can definitely learn it. Tanski Models has castings and the plans/book for the Raritan. The only castings needed for the Kozo A3 can be had from Friends Models.

I would still encourage you to build something small and electric first, like a box cab or small 4 wheel switcher, just to get you out on the rails with something. You could use the motor and maybe some parts out of an old kids ride-on electric toy. That would be pretty cheap to get (maybe free). Build yourself a small 4- wheel chassis and you could at least have something to run.

BTW, you can do the same thing in 7 1/2 or 7 1/4" gauge as well. You don't have to spend a fortune to be able to go out and play. A few hundred dollars and some scrounged parts can get you a home-built locomotive that runs. Might not be the prettiest or to scale, but it runs and is fun just the same.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

shild wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:57 pm I've got some machinist skills, what I don't have is boiler building skills. And no, I'm not expecting a Bachman electric train motor to pull me!
Occasionally, you can find a "project" locomotive where the boiler is complete.

Sounds like that might be a good starting point for you to get into steam.

Steve