Track Work

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Track Work

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

At Mid-South we started using the pre-molded plastic ties about 7 or 8 years ago, not too long after we found out about them. We started out using them only every 3rd tie, just to make sure that the track would stay in gage even if the wood ties started rotting out. Later on, we switched to using them every other tie, especially on curves. There are a few sections that go under trees and other places where rot is really bad, and there we've put down 100% plastic ties. The biggest reason we didn't go 100% plastic across our entire track was mainly cost. We had so much track that needed to be reworked, and we wanted to get the best value for our money, so this was the thought pattern at the time. Well, those ties still look great, some are over 8 years old now. Definitely was worth the investment. I have heard some people state that those things will dry rot and start splitting apart in a few years, or curling up on the ends and warping. Well, we haven't had that problem. Also, the C&IG has been putting down all plastic ties on their railroad. If it can survive that Central Texas heat and sun, it should be OK just about anywhere.

Glad that you're reworking your track. It looks sharp.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

B&OBob wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:29 pm It's encouraging to see that one club -- and a really engaged member -- have stopped burying wood ties, that are destined to rot, with long-lasting plastic. This is an expensive, labor intensive project, but sure to pay-off in the future. Great looking work, Dan!
There are still some unsung heros around!

B&OBob
thanks bob, yea as expensive as accu tie is. it is so worth the investment. but as I tell people, if we do this now we will never have to do it again down the road. so it's worth every penny and it's worth every bit of blood, tears, toil and sweat and pain to get it done and get it done good.
Steam Engine Dan

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:58 am At Mid-South we started using the pre-molded plastic ties about 7 or 8 years ago, not too long after we found out about them. We started out using them only every 3rd tie, just to make sure that the track would stay in gage even if the wood ties started rotting out. Later on, we switched to using them every other tie, especially on curves. There are a few sections that go under trees and other places where rot is really bad, and there we've put down 100% plastic ties. The biggest reason we didn't go 100% plastic across our entire track was mainly cost. We had so much track that needed to be reworked, and we wanted to get the best value for our money, so this was the thought pattern at the time. Well, those ties still look great, some are over 8 years old now. Definitely was worth the investment. I have heard some people state that those things will dry rot and start splitting apart in a few years, or curling up on the ends and warping. Well, we haven't had that problem. Also, the C&IG has been putting down all plastic ties on their railroad. If it can survive that Central Texas heat and sun, it should be OK just about anywhere.

Glad that you're reworking your track. It looks sharp.
thank you, it really pays off.
Steam Engine Dan

also the real key to my success is two things, number one I had a really good teacher who is our 1.5 track committee chairman. he took the time and showed me how to do track work properly. and two, having the right music to listen to when im out there working to pump up my drive to work and work hard. like this, (link does not work---look below for one that does) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ELvf10XJ

but having a good teacher is the key.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Anyone tried using longer sections of rail? perhaps 20ft or 50 ft long sections?
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Dan - the track looks great. Having spend much of my youth digging roadbeds and laying track I know what a job it is - you're clearly doing a superb job.
I'm very much looking forward to trying it out in 2021!
Best regards
Steve
Steam Engine Dan

Steve Goodbody wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:45 pm Dan - the track looks great. Having spend much of my youth digging roadbeds and laying track I know what a job it is - you're clearly doing a superb job.
I'm very much looking forward to trying it out in 2021!
Best regards
Steve
thanks steve, I appreciate it. let me know what you think when you run on it. :D
Steam Engine Dan

well my pump up music video link didn't work, so here is another try. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNVZzXgMdXs

we're in it, to win it :D
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

And all members(me!) and visitors will benefit from this work that no one really pays attention to. Thanks.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

all members(me!) and visitors will benefit from this work that no one really pays attention to.
I hear that! Seems like most of the time the only feedback you hear about your track is when people complain about a spot or switch, or start telling you what you NEED to be doing or fixing that would make it oh-so-much better! Screw that! One thing I've noticed is the people that are complaining are never to be found when you are having a track work day. You have the same 'faithful few' out there doing all of the track maintenance. However, when you have a good meet, hear minimum complaints, and have most everyone stay on the track well, it makes things so much more enjoyable. Nothing spoils your fun quicker than having to re-rail that box car every 5 or 10 minutes, or worse, your heavy locomotive.

One more thing: if you are the only one derailing or having problems on a certain spot, it's not the track, It's YOU!
Steam Engine Dan

Sandiapaul wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:29 pm And all members(me!) and visitors will benefit from this work that no one really pays attention to. Thanks.
you're welcome paul, there is more to go but we will get there. :D
Steam Engine Dan

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:34 am
all members(me!) and visitors will benefit from this work that no one really pays attention to.
I hear that! Seems like most of the time the only feedback you hear about your track is when people complain about a spot or switch, or start telling you what you NEED to be doing or fixing that would make it oh-so-much better! Screw that! One thing I've noticed is the people that are complaining are never to be found when you are having a track work day. You have the same 'faithful few' out there doing all of the track maintenance. However, when you have a good meet, hear minimum complaints, and have most everyone stay on the track well, it makes things so much more enjoyable. Nothing spoils your fun quicker than having to re-rail that box car every 5 or 10 minutes, or worse, your heavy locomotive.

One more thing: if you are the only one derailing or having problems on a certain spot, it's not the track, It's YOU!
agreed