Searching for 2-6-0 "Scotty" Mogul Drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Searching for 2-6-0 "Scotty" Mogul Drawings

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

And just to tease you: Paul Brien's 2-6-0 'Scotty' Mogul.
Brien 2-6-0.jpg
mogul327

Post by mogul327 »

Stop making me drool all over my poor keyboard. hahaha
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238
1.5" L.E. American Restoration
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:25 pm Pershing G. Scott, of Live Steam Magazine fame, was the original designer. This was back in the 60's, 70's, somewhere back beyond my time, not sure. That's why it was always called the 'Scotty' mogul.
Actually, Carl Purinton was the designer of the original. Scotty built one, but Carl had built one before him.
I think there was something about it in the North American Live Steamer.
Maybe Keith Taylor knows more about it.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Actually from what I have been told the ORIGINAL design was by Carl Purinton. Pershing Scott built the second engine to the design.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

You could very easily put tom bee trucks with air brakes under the tender, then have a trailing boxcar with the air setup and a tool box etc. That'd also give you the easy option of air brakes on the train.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

At least one set of our Scotty Mogul drawings are dated in the late 1930's.

I will have to look out at the shop but I believe we ended up with a driver pattern for the Scotty mogul. Its been along time since we discussed it but seems like they might of had other patterns for it, they got loaned out and all that came back was the driver pattern. I will try and find out.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

You are right... I had forgotten that Carl Purinton was the original designer. Someone had told me that before, but now I can't remember who or when.
I had also thought that these cylinders would be something that could be re-drawn and CNC machined pretty easily. They are D-valve cylinders that aren't too complex. There is a cylinder casting, but it's nothing overly complicated. It has no steam passages cored in or anything. All of that could be done CNC pretty easily. For some reason, interest in this locomotive has gone up recently. Maybe 2 or 3 people could get together and get those cylinders machined as a group. Might be cheaper to do that. I would be interested in a set if they were available, even though I'm not going to use them for a while.

BTW, it is a true Belpaire boiler. The drawings lay out the sheets and how they have to be bent to make the boiler.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Here is the driver pattern for the Scotty Mogal. Looks like all we have for Scotty patterns.
IMG_20201016_181537329.jpg
IMG_20201016_181551259.jpg
John Rukgaber

Post by John Rukgaber »

I have built a Scotty Mogul in 1994-5 and it has been a great runner. It was built from the original old prints with help from Scotty. I have also built the valve gear from Paul's prints and we put that on a Scotty Mogul a friend of mine built. The Paul design is an improvement over the original but the original runs ok. I have a hand sketch that Paul sent me of his tender. Don't know if there ever was a cad print of the tender. I don't know if this is the place but my Scotty Mogul is for sale. Send me a PM for more info. Thanks
John Rukgaber

Post by John Rukgaber »

We must remember that the original prints drawn by W.W.H. and I think that is William Hill are 7 1/4. The prints from Paul are 7 1/2. You need to adjust accordingly.
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

Here is my Paul Brian Scotty Mogul.

Wayne
Attachments
At Iowa Model Steam Engineers meet.
At Iowa Model Steam Engineers meet.