Searching for 2-6-0 "Scotty" Mogul Drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Wayne Davis

Re: Searching for 2-6-0 "Scotty" Mogul Drawings

Post by Wayne Davis »

Here are three Scotty Moguls triple heading at an Iowa Model Steam Engineers meet. I don't remember who sent me the video. The one Scotty built is in the lead, John Rukgaber's in the middle, and mine under construction in the rear.

Wayne

https://youtu.be/ZPqUCaMER30
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Thanks to "Pontiacguy" for scanning and providing electronic copies of the "Scotty" Mogul, which can be found here:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Scotty_Mogul

Happy steaming!
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
mogul327

Post by mogul327 »

Looking over my copies of Paul's drawings and the 50th drawing for the lubricator mentions it's a double feed lubricator hand pump. After viewing it, was this an actual "hand pump oiler" in the cab or nearby that you just gave a shot of oil to the cylinders occasionally, or am I missing something simple? It doesn't appear to have a linkage to run off the running gear anywhere and I have heard from my live steam mentors mentioning some engines that did use this method. I have not run any engines like this though. Thoughts?

Thanks!
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238
1.5" L.E. American Restoration
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

It is the absolute simplest form of an oiler. It is a double ram pump that you would mount at the back of the cab or something, and would just give it a couple of shots of oil manually every so often. I tried to give it enough oil so that the small container would last about 4 or 5 hours, then would be empty. That meant that I would give it two or three shots every 10 minutes or so.

It works great, and is easy to build. That's why he designed it that way. You could skip that part and use an automatic oiler if you want to, but this does work and is simple, easy, cheap, and effective.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

wonder if anyone has stretched one into a 2-8-0
mogul327

Post by mogul327 »

Thanks Pontiacguy. That's what I thought the oiler might be but I have not seen any on engines recently that had this around me. Seems like it might be fun to try out and use just to be different from everyone else out there. Plus I like the whole: simple, easy, cheap, and effective scenario.
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238
1.5" L.E. American Restoration
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I'd like to see the details of the hydrostatic oilers several of the Kitsap Live Steamers builders (and others, I am certain) have on their locomotives.
They make them to look like air reservoirs mounted under a running board, or "semi-hidden" under the smokebox on the front deck.
With a large volume, they can be set for the required small output and ignored all day. Or longer...
RussN