1" Inch Scale Riding Car/Tender Trucks

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jmpharrington

1" Inch Scale Riding Car/Tender Trucks

Post by jmpharrington »

I am in the planning stage of building a 1" scale tender, and am considering what trucks to use. In consideration are a pair of One Inch Scale Railroad Supply trucks, and a set of what may be One Inch Scale Railroad Supply or earlier Nelson Gray trucks. My concern is if the strength of the zinc alloy is suitable for the loads and service of a tender or riding car. Would like to hear opinions/experience.
Thanks
-Jimmy
jscarmozza

Re: 1" Inch Scale Riding Car/Tender Trucks

Post by jscarmozza »

Jim, look up the properties of ZA-27, if the trucks are made from from it you may feel more comfortable using them.
John
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

If the material has remained unchanged over the years, it should be fine... Don't subject them to sharp, heavy loads (such as plopping down on the couch after a long day at work) and I think you'll be fine. I've only ever seen one sideframe fail and that was on a ballast car which was maxed out.

Additionally, don't count out Despatch Railroad Supply - they are great folks to work with and will chat with you over the phone to answer any questions you might have.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

I’ve used Nelson Gray trucks for 35+ years. I’m not a light fellow and they are still performing flawlessly.

I am also still using the trucks that Francis Moseley built back in the 60’s with no problem.

They will last just fine for you. And since the design is the same, you can change them out forever. I have made trucks with pets made by Nelson in the late 60’s with stuff Lonnie (1” RR) made in 2013 with no adjustments.
Matt Mason