Leaf spring, blue temper stock sources?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

milwiron

Leaf spring, blue temper stock sources?

Post by milwiron »

Besides McMaster and MSC does anyone have an inexpensive source for polished, strip, blue temper spring steel for making leaf springs? The best I'm finding is about $3.00 per foot for .042 x 1/2.
"Measure twice, curse once."
hoppercar

Re: Leaf spring, blue temper stock sources?

Post by hoppercar »

I have gotten.it before at admiralsteel llc. Admiralsteel.com. there is no minimum order...they accept any size order.....I.believe there located in illinois
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Havent purchased any in quite a while, so I wouldnt know about the price...you would have to.contact them...
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

If you have a water jet contact, you could get a sheet of spring steel and waterjet everything out of that. Rivet holes included!
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Mike Walsh wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:56 am If you have a water jet contact, you could get a sheet of spring steel and waterjet everything out of that. Rivet holes included!
Yes, life is easy with a waterjet.
Before I retired one of the departments I supervised had a 7 x 15 foot (usable surface) Omax waterjet. I could program at my desk, upload the program to the machine and cut what I needed at lunch. It was capable of 50,000 psi but kept it set at 45,000 to save on piston wear. Low pressure was 20,000 psi.
Unfortunately I no long have access, not that I don't think about it on a daily basis.
"Measure twice, curse once."
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Isn't that what strapping is made of? You'd have to trim it to size, but a lot of times, you can get the stuff free. At my office, they just throw it in the recycling bin.

Steve
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

milwiron wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:36 am
Mike Walsh wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:56 am If you have a water jet contact, you could get a sheet of spring steel and waterjet everything out of that. Rivet holes included!
Yes, life is easy with a waterjet.
Before I retired one of the departments I supervised had a 7 x 15 foot (usable surface) Omax waterjet. I could program at my desk, upload the program to the machine and cut what I needed at lunch. It was capable of 50,000 psi but kept it set at 45,000 to save on piston wear. Low pressure was 20,000 psi.
Unfortunately I no long have access, not that I don't think about it on a daily basis.
Congrats on the retirement.

too bad you don't still have connections there - wink wink. lol
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I used plumber's snake material on a couple of projects years ago, and I still have some 1/4"x.032". 30-40 years ago they were real blue spring steel, no telling what it is now.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Plumber's snake... Great idea! I bet you could pick an old one up in a flea market, junk store, yard sale, or similar for just a few bucks. Next time I'm in one of those places I will look for one... You know, for all the 1/2" scale projects that I keep talking about but haven't worked on in a while now.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:37 am Isn't that what strapping is made of?
Unfortunately, no, it is not. Strapping is available in various degrees of hardness, with none of them heat treated to be a spring.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

Couldn't one use something like high carbon steel bandsaw blade material?

My DoAll Dart power bandsaw blades certainly look like and behave like blue tempered spring steel.
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

Spring steel at least in scale thickness is too stiff to work well.
A stack of steel leafs acts more like a bar then a spring.
Phosphor bronze is a much better material for scale leaf springs