1" Little Engines Atlantic/Pacific Guidance

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jmpharrington

1" Little Engines Atlantic/Pacific Guidance

Post by jmpharrington »

Has there been any article series, booklet, etc. on the construction of the 1" scale Little Engines Atlantic or Pacific?
Thanks,
Jim
tetramachine

Re: 1" Little Engines Atlantic/Pacific Guidance

Post by tetramachine »

There are many members on here that have built pacific/Atlantic models.
I have one started, and one almost finished.

Both Pacifica.
Tom
My wheels don't slow me down
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

The Kozo books describe different model engines than the Atlantic or Pacific. But if you are interested in building in 1” scale, his descriptions and methods are very well suited for that particular scale. They’d be very good reference books to have on the shelf for either an Atlantic or Pacific build.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

jmpharrington wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:43 pm Has there been any article series, booklet, etc. on the construction of the 1" scale Little Engines Atlantic or Pacific?
Thanks,
Jim
Not sure. I haven't heard of one... I do have a LE-issued construction booklet on the 0-6-0, but don't know if one was made for the Pacific/Atlantic.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

The steam supply piping on the LE prints will make the locomotive operate nicely. In rebuilding a 1 inch pacific into a northern design, I saw where some improvements in the steam supply might improve the performance of the design. A new boiler was required and a slightly larger dry pipe diameter was used. A ball valve was used for the front end throttle. The 1/4 inch diameter copper supply lines to the slide valves seemed to be an opportunity for some major improvement. The supply lines were changed to 5/16 diameter copper tubing and the brass copper tubing connection fittings were bored out for maximum steam flow as much as possible. The slide valves were lapped to a perfect flat steam tight condition. The test on air sounded much improved and we were encouraged that the rebuild was going to be for the best.

At the track, the first steam test proved that the changes and increased steam flow area to the cylinders had created one of the loudest exhaust sounds of any Little Engines 1 inch steamer built. Sounded like a 1.5 scale size steamer and was the talk of the members present that day so long ago at SVLS.

Too bad at that time I was not aware of the megaphone style blast nozzle, or the sound performance at the stack could have been more impressive.

According to most calculations, the 1/4 inch diameter tubing should be acceptable, but it was found that by increasing to the next larger size copper tubing, the performance increase was certainly worth the effort invested. Today the 1 inch Northern of Richard Finn is operated at St. Croix Live steamers where it still turns heads when operated. Richard Finn told me recently that the first time he operated the big 1 inch Lackawana Northern at the ST. Croix track, that they could not believe what they were seeing. What they thought was going to be just another standard performance of a 1 inch LE Pacific with another driving axle tacked on was not what they saw.

I have often wondered if increasing the bore diameter of the cylinders by another 1/16 or 1/8 inch would improve the performance of these locomotives even more?
jmpharrington

Post by jmpharrington »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:03 pm The Kozo books describe different model engines than the Atlantic or Pacific. But if you are interested in building in 1” scale, his descriptions and methods are very well suited for that particular scale. They’d be very good reference books to have on the shelf for either an Atlantic or Pacific build.

Glenn
Thanks,
I have a few of Kozo's books and find them excellent in terms of instruction to the novice.
I was hoping someone produced guidance specifically for the LE Atlantic or Pacific, as some time back I acquired a partially built Atlantic, and finally was able to set up a vintage SB 9" and small bench mill.
Thanks,
Jimmy
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Les Friend built a 1" scale Atlantic that is very similar in size to the LE Atlantic. He wrote 11 articles that appeared in The Miniature Locomotive magazine. A reprint of those articles is available from Friends Models.
jmpharrington

Post by jmpharrington »

Marty_Knox wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:14 pm Les Friend built a 1" scale Atlantic that is very similar in size to the LE Atlantic. He wrote 11 articles that appeared in The Miniature Locomotive magazine. A reprint of those articles is available from Friends Models.
Marty,
Thanks. I ordered the article series from John K. at Freinds. I plan to build the tender first before completing the locomotive, and was pleased to learn that the articles include construction of the tender.
- Jimmy
Last edited by jmpharrington on Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Rwilliams wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:56 am According to most calculations, the 1/4 inch diameter tubing should be acceptable, but it was found that by increasing to the next larger size copper tubing, the performance increase was certainly worth the effort invested. Today the 1 inch Northern of Richard Finn is operated at St. Croix Live steamers where it still turns heads when operated. Richard Finn told me recently that the first time he operated the big 1 inch Lackawana Northern at the ST. Croix track, that they could not believe what they were seeing. What they thought was going to be just another standard performance of a 1 inch LE Pacific with another driving axle tacked on was not what they saw.

I have often wondered if increasing the bore diameter of the cylinders by another 1/16 or 1/8 inch would improve the performance of these locomotives even more?
Last I heard, Richard Finn's Northern is on display at a museum in Branson, MO. - unless that changed...
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Mike,

From what Dick Finn he told me he keeps in on display at the museum in the winter months and then takes it up to the monster track in St. Croix for the summer. Once the good weather is over with, he brings it back to the museum. With the current Covid conditions, no telling what he is doing with the
locomotive.

Robert
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Check your PM Jim.
John