Help identifying photos

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Help identifying photos

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I've wondered that myself for many years... Even in 1 1/2" scale, and even here in the South where the history of Live Steam doesn't go as far back. I remember locomotives that people would bring to MSLS meets back in the early to mid 1980's, and most of them have just disappeared over the years. I know that some of them got sold and moved out of state. Well, that accounts for about half of them or somewhere along those lines. A bunch of them have never been seen again after the death of the builder/owner. You know that these things have to be sitting in someone's garage, basement, or barn somewhere just waiting to be discovered. I don't think anyone would scrap a once-running locomotive... A partially built chassis maybe, but I can't see someone scrapping something like a complete locomotive. They're all somewhere.

This thread is very interesting to me, as I love to hear about the history of the hobby. I have the 'wandering locomotive' book that was published, and I've done some research on Carl Purinton and on Victor Shattock. Love the IBLS pages on past suppliers like Miller Backyard Railroad too. Even though I don't know any of the people involved, it's neat to see and hear about the activities and builds of long ago. Like I said before... They're all somewhere.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Go to York England and poke around back in the warehouse...100's of locos sitting there stacked on pallet racks to the ceiling.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Can anyone identify who built this 2-1/2" gauge Hudson, number 638, Caledonia Belt Line? Just curious, thanks.
John
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

I would say that was built by Bill Michaels of Racine Wisconsin. It was for sale a few years back on one of the sites. If you can find the November 1948 Model Railroader, the story about Bill, his engines and his chum Walley Ribbick is in there. Walley's hudson is in a case at the Tennessee Valley Railroad in Chattanooga. The picture in the magazine shows Walleys engine running with a B&O tender. He eventually built a NYC PT type tender for it.
I also think Bill took this engine to Danvers when they still had 1/2" track.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Thank you Steve. I did get the engine from WI about twelve years ago, so it makes sense that the builder lived there. I said builder, but I should have said artist, it's an incredible piece of work, and it still runs well. Thanks again. John
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That NYC Hudson of Wallace Ribbeck is really a masterpiece of a locomotive. I've seen it several times. It used to sit outside of the room at the Chattanooga Choo-Choo Hotel where the large model train layout was located. The locomotive disappeared from there and then moved to the TVR back a number of years ago. The large model train layout is sadly now gone as well. I think that sad tale has been covered elsewhere.
P1010035b.jpg
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

If you can find the October 1948 Model Railroader Magazine, the cover shows Bill working on the boiler for this engine.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

The two engines are nearly twins, mine just has a funny paint job and apparently had a much harder life. I'll try to find that article, thanks guys for the information and photo.
John
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

FYI
Attachments
October MR 1948
October MR 1948
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Wow! That's really something, I appreciate the information. There is always a lot of speculation as to the origin of that engine whenever I bring it out, finally it's nice to know who built it and when. Thank you Steve.
John
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

While looking up something in the Purinton live steam book, I noticed Bill's B&O Pacific is mis identified as the Hudson. He had a private track a few miles from his home. I wonder if there is a condo on it now?
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Steve, I picked up a copy of the magazine on eBay today, nice provenance to keep with the engine. Thanks for the heads up on that. John