inverted-rocker lateral-motion device

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

squandt

inverted-rocker lateral-motion device

Post by squandt »

Hello all, Dose anyone know of a print or information on this , I have seen this in a few books and pictures,I would like to use it on my engine if it can be made that small, the engine is in 3/4" scale 4-8-4 northern,any help would be great.
stay on the shine side of the rail
Fender

Re: inverted-rocker lateral-motion device

Post by Fender »

I recall seeing something about these in the ICS course material on steam locomotives. I used that (conceptual) information to design one for a 2.5” scale locomotive. You’re probably on your own for design details unless you can get plans for a specific prototype locomotive. Another source might be a later edition of the Locomotive Cyclopedia, such as 1941.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Good luck with that. Yes you can make them but they are always falling out on the ground. After a few years of screwing around with them in mr 3/4 hudson...I took the roalckers out and put in rollers. Not very true to scale but a lot more practical.

The langworthy hudson prints have some very useful dimensions as a place to start
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I wasn't sure what you were asking for until Bill commented, pretty much the same thing he told me about six years ago. I used inverted rockers on the leading/trailing trucks of the GG-1 I was building, they sort of worked, but were always flopping around. I put lateral coil springs on them to help re-center them when the engine came out of a turn, it helped but it needed a long straight run to get everything back in line. Check out the PA State archives for the GG-1 truck drawings; all my drawings went with the engine when I sold it.
John
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Here at Chaski back in 2012 under 'Riding Scale Railroading' titled 'GG-1 in 1-12/" ' are plans for the GG-1 trucks that I previously referenced.
John
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Attached is a photo of how i did it.

The bronze 'rollers' replace the rockers. they are sitting on a 10-32 SHCS with a steel sleeve up the center to allow the bolt to go tight without clamping down on the roller.

The rollers riding in an inverted V pocket so that they tend to be self-centering
rockers modified as rollers.jpg
I used the same V pocket idea that the rockers would use.
rockers 3.jpg
only I had to make them a bit wider to accommodate the roller (experimented a bit).
rockers 1.jpg
Too many things going on to bother listing them.