Lubricator

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Lubricator

Post by hoppercar »

I have a twin ram lubricator I bought from.american models maybe 8 years ago. Just now started using it...it got it set to.stroke about 4 clicks on the ratchet wheel.....my problem, ive noticed...I see oil in the glass, so.I k ow its full....and then it seems very quickly it uses oil in a gulp....I have had to take the check balls out, and burp the air out of it several times, if the oil got to low....then when im sure all.the air is out, sometimes it doesnt seem to.pump.at all ?....seems like its all or nothing, cant seem to find a happy medium
NP317

Re: Lubricator

Post by NP317 »

The mechanical lubricators on both my locomotives definitely require air-free operation! One of them is also from American Models.
Several times I let the oil level get too low and it sucked air into the pumps. Another time, failed check valves down stream let steam back into the pumps.
I had to remove those small screws on the tops of each pump cylinder to get the air out, which was a real pain to do. Then they pumped properly again.
Now I always add a second check valve between the pump and the steam cylinders.

As for using the oil too fast, that implies to me that the pump stroke is too long, or oil is somehow being siphoned out.
Once the pumps are working consistently, then the required stroke can be determined and set.
Both my properly adjusted lubricators have surprisingly small strokes to keep the steam cylinders adequately lubed.

Having learned my lesson on mechanical lubricators with my first steamer: my new Mikado has the mechanical lubricator in a far more accessible location.
Now I can "burp" the pump if required, without removing it from the locomotive.

In the attached picture, the finished running boards (not yet installed for the picture) have a section above the lubricator that simple pulls out for full access to that device.
Lessons learned.
RussN
Lubricator 2 sml.jpg
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Yeah...I have had to.burp mine several.times.....I think the stroke is set to.long....4 clicks is kind of a lot ?.....where do.you have yours attached at?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

one or two clicks is plenty,
also make sure you have snifter valves. if you do not, it will suck the lubricator dry in short order.

go pick up a vacuum pump brake bleeder kit, that works great priming the pumps
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Hmmm...I never thought of that ?....I have snifter valves, but ill take a look.at them....maybe theres a blockage ????
southwestern737

Post by southwestern737 »

I use two clicks on my Mikado, still uses oil a little quick, I just added on to the reservior, made it about triple the original size and made the top lift off to fill. I didn't like the screw cap, it was difficult to operate with gloves on.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Hopper Car...

Don't know who made the mechanical lubricators on my 10-wheele. Over the years have been trying to reduce the amount of lube delivered to the cylinders. Not only did I drill more holes in the lubricator crank, drilled more holes in the valve gear yoke that drives the lubricator. Choked up as much on the yoke as I could while driving the lubricator as far from the pivot point as possible. btw...lubricators have one-way bearing clutches.

IMG_7563.JPG

How do I know if I'm over lubricating? After running for a bit, see lube oil inside the stack. In time, the oil collects on the stack lip and runs down the outside.

What's next? Extend the length of the lubricator crank and keep "notching down". Trying to use as little motion on the yoke to produce as little motion on the lubricator crank. At this point, this isn't a high priority 2do item. Too much lube oil is better than not enough. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

either 'choke up' or put in a 'lost motion' device
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I made an extension to the lubricator arm allowing the drive rod to be farther away from the pivot clutch, and decreasing the oil delivery rate.
And yes, I normally see oil collecting on the stack rim, and after a long day of running it might run down the stack.
The cylinders are showing no wear after hundreds of miles of running. 'Must be enough oil.

I also brazed on an extension to the lubricator body, increasing oil storage by at least 50%. It is under the boiler and not visible.
A good modification for running at Train Mountain RR.
RussN
Santafescotty60

Post by Santafescotty60 »

Well if I loose prime loosen the pump and the lines add a hex nut to the clutch shaft and spin it by hand till she picks up pressure me explain.I have an old Allen in fact it was the last set of cylinders he machined before he started contracting that service out about 30 years ago one click per revolution is what I have mine set at if cyl cocks have oil on them after running and no strange squeaking your good. And by the way don't trust a buddy that gives you half a bucket of steam oil cause he is getting out of the hobby it had a quart of steam oil 1 quart of gear lube and a quart of used motor oil and a quart of water,poured that in a jar got 4 layers with jelled globs. man that was a mess to clean out ...
So one of the old timer said if you are using a double ram small (coles pump) make an air tank /lube tank in the Sand dome , then plumb it into the side of the pump and bolt the pump to the bottom of the running board with a gasket. if something goes dry its messy bu loosen the pump from the running boards if gravity works and the remove or loosen the lines spin that hex nut on the pump you added to get her filled and primed .spin it again to get some lube in the cylinders. yes I am preaching to the choir but this may help a newbe!
tanks for reading Scotty