Water Gauge Problem

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Marty_Knox

Re: Water Gauge Problem

Post by Marty_Knox »

The water in the glass will be very active, moving up and down, violently at times.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

The problem is caused by turbulence around the mud ring area causing pressure changes as water rushes by / In / out of the lower fitting connection.

A water column will help because it provides a direct path past the glass...but as Marty says . .expect the level to be very active.

Sometimes putting a restriction...needle valve in the lower line can help...but you need to be careful that it does not clog.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
acbailey

Post by acbailey »

Marty and/or Bill

Due to covid19 we have not had a chance to do anything with the engine. Is the solution to the problem simply plugging the existing hole and drilling and taping a new hole in the boiler in the proper location or is there more to it?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it will not make the problem any worse...and yes...if it were me...that is what I would do

something just clicked for me...must be getting old..

is this the 0-6-0 loco with the double fire-door - that you and Ray have been working on???
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

acbailey wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:48 pm Marty and/or Bill

Due to covid19 we have not had a chance to do anything with the engine. Is the solution to the problem simply plugging the existing hole and drilling and taping a new hole in the boiler in the proper location or is there more to it?
Yes, that is the solution.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Marty a couple of years you had a a diagram I think on extending the bottom sight glass inlet/outlet into the boiler to stop some of the surging , would you be able to post a copy of that again .
Thanks Chris
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Here you go Chris. I hope this readable. I just got a new printer/scanner and I'm still learning how to use it.
This is page 520 from the 1941 Locomotive Cyclopedia.
Attachments
water gage 1926 Rec.pdf
(67.85 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

My experance if the water glass looks like a lava lamp is there is oil in the boiler. It floats on top of the water mostly and it will collect in water glass and as steam condenses in the upper connection line it drblrs down and sinks thru the oil in the glass.

Good practice is have shut off valves in the top and bottom lines with a tee at the bottom of the glass with a drain valve, the glass and lines can be blown down periodically. The top valve is the least important to have.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

It is a normal protocol to perform a water glass sequential blown down before running any steam locomotive, boat, etc.
This helps keep the passages from plugging up with scale, and informs the operator that the water glass readings can be trusted.
And annual water glass valve clean outs are a requirement by FRA, and other regulatory authorities.

Full sized steam locomotive protocols are to also perform a water glass blown down with every crew change.
How else will the new crew have confidence in the water level?
Boiler accidents have been caused by NOT doing this standard safety procedure, like the Gettysburg Railroad CP #1278 Pacific crown sheet failure in 1995.
https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-stud ... IR9605.pdf

This enforces the reason to have correct top, bottom, and vent valves on ANY water glass assembly, including our model locomotives.
Only then can the correct top-to-bottom blow down sequence be followed.
RussN