Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cawebco

Re: Decauville 0-4-0 1:22.58 Scale

Post by cawebco »

Hi, diddler and berkman.
Joining a bit late, but thought you might be interested, and I might be able to help; the 0-4-0 7.5 gauge 1/3rd scale Decauville from Tenessee ended up with me ! Together with all the history, drawings, building notes, etc. that the gentleman in Tenessee that built it used and made. I'm an operator not a builder, but I would be happy to share any info.
Cheers
DSC_7088_small1 (2017_09_16 17_21_48 UTC).jpg
diddler

Post by diddler »

Thank you for your input. I would appreciate any information you are willing to part with. I am kind of late to the game, However I am learning a lot and enjoying more. I am looking forward to the 7.5 gauge build one of these days. Going to finish this build first, fine tune it , then move on to the larger one.
Best Regards,
Rick
diddler

Post by diddler »

I am dropping off a few pictures:
Shift stop:I made this to stop the shift handle from bending away from the frame, it will look better once polished.
Pump LayoutI had to remove the frame assembly that the water tanks are attached to, The design in the drawing was wrong. with the pump kind of mounted, I was able to measure and cut the frame to allow the pump to sit right. The frame is not installed.
Engine BlocksI turned down the blocks to the right length and are ready for milling.

slow but sure, I am getting there
Attachments
shift stop.jpg
pump layout.jpg
engin blocks.jpg
diddler

Post by diddler »

I have been a little busy of late, Just dropping off some pictures of where I am with my build.
Attachments
block powder coat.jpg
engine block fitting.jpg
engine block layout.JPG
enging block with fittings.JPG
milling profile.jpg
upper engine valve case raw.jpg
jeanluc83

Post by jeanluc83 »

It looks like you are making some great progress!

I'm actually from your neck of the woods originally. I grew up in Corinth but I'm currently living in southeastern CT. If you haven't you should check out Adirondack Live Steam. It us quite litterly in your backyard.

I also started a 2-1/2 gauge locomotive after finding some plans online that couldn't be ignored. It must be a common affliction. I had planed for it to be my side project while I was working on my Clishay but I haven't done much of anything on the Clishay since. I'm starting to question which is the side project.
diddler

Post by diddler »

Yes, I have looked in to Adirondack Live Steam, they are about 15 miles from me. I am planing to join as soon as this covid is over.
Thank you for your Kind words, It looks like I may be able to fire the engines up using air is a couple weeks :-)
diddler

Post by diddler »

A few more pictures of where I am at with the build. I put glass in the window that move, just for fun :-)
Attachments
window glass.jpg
engine valve.jpg
mill.JPG
valve 2.jpg
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Loving this build! Your work is top-notch. Love seeing 2 1/2" gauge stuff. To me, that just makes this even more interesting. Eventually I will get my own 7 1/2" gauge stuff done and will get back to work on my own 2 1/2" gauge projects.
diddler

Post by diddler »

Getting good reviews makes it that much more fun. I will need to get larger tools to scale this little locomotive up, But I will get it done :-)
diddler

Post by diddler »

I spent the day powder coating the engine parts. This is one engine ready to go, after honing the bore to give me a smooth movement of the piston, right on down to 7 lb of pressure. I am getting there :-)
Attachments
IMmot1.jpg
mot2.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Looking good!
RussN
diddler

Post by diddler »

This build has been a lot of fun, I started it mid winter, and never thought I would be as far along as I am at this point. That is funny about this build is, I am not a machinist at all, I designed dental lab equipment, and needed many prototype parts made, so if I wanted things made in a timely fashion, I had to make them my self in the shop. That would drive the union crazy, but it wasn't for production, so they did not mind so much. The last thing I have to do is the boiler, I did machine some of the parts in steel, this is did because I did not find the 3 1/2 copper pipe I needed without having to sell the house per say.
So do I weld it or silver solder it, do I do it or bring it to a person who is a welder, That I am not either, but can tig, mig and stick weld. One mistake and you start over. This is why I left it for last :-(