Tank car

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Tank car

Post by hoppercar »

Finished my latest old riveted tankcar. Was a lot of work rolling sheet metal, and pounding rivets. Gonna save myself a lot of work on the next one. I have a piece of 10inch pvc pipe..schedule 40 I think,??....does anyone know where to get pvc flanged and dished ends, that could be glued onto.the pipe?....ive hunted online...nothing
FLSTEAM

Re: Tank car

Post by FLSTEAM »

Here is my tank built using a 12" pvc pipe. For the ends I turned some 1/2" flat sheet with a slight taper to the edges. A little PVC cement and drive it in to flush with the pipe ends. Sealed water tight and if the ice melts before the beer is gone there is a drain in the bottom.

I am guessing you are interested in something a little more modern.

John B
Attachments
Tank 08.jpg
Nik3v

Post by Nik3v »

I have never contacted them, but saved this site When I was planning a tank car. They make ends for tanks.
Let us know if they help.

https://compco.com/products/
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

If you contact a larger plastic supplier they will have CNC machining capability and will machine what ever shape you want and recommend what material to use , and from my experience the price is usually pretty good as it machines so quick and easy .
Contact them with what you require , turn around is quite quick for most things .
Steven E. Kuhn

Post by Steven E. Kuhn »

Would be nice if Compco could do something. But it looks like those tank ends would be more suitable for modern tank cars. Early tank car ends were much flatter with a lip that was riveted to the tank.

As far as a "large plastic supplier". Can you be more specific? Where would I look for that? Would plastic machine smooth?

Thank you,
Steven E. Kuhn