weed killer

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: weed killer

Post by Greg_Lewis »

SteveM wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:09 pm
pat1027 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:39 am Any of the weed killers you can spray on your track are hazardous to your health. Some are less hazardous but they all come with safety precautions.
EVERYTHING has a health issue.

You drink too much water and it can kill you.

Steve
:lol:

I taught photography for 30 years and at the beginning of the semester I'd take the kids into the photo lab to show them around. I'd explain the print developer, fixer, etc. And then I'd make a few comments about safety. I'd then say that the most dangerous chemical we had in there was the dihydrogen monoxide. I'd say that more people have died from overexposure to dihydrogen monoxide than any other chemical on the planet. As their eyes widened, I'd wink and splash my hands in the print wash tray.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

OCME uses a product called Avenger (I checked with the guy who buys it):
www.avengerorganics.com/organic-weed-killer.html
It is not cheap, but it really works well and is approved by the city parks department.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Life is sexually contrived condition with a 100% mortality rate.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Back in the 1980’s a friend of mine set up an xmas tree farm, he was using DuPont Oust, he bought me a container of the stuff.

I was then given all his chemicals when he died in 1993, have lotsa stuff with strange names on them, but I now have two containers of Oust, more than enough for many decades.

Besides using Roundup, I use Oust at 3 grams to the gallon it lasts the whole season.

Using 6 grams in a two gallon sprayer twice, is enough for the whole RR., and other places.

Takes awhile, but in a few weeks, little grows there.

It is now made by Bayer.

One should be carful not to let the stuff near open water it will damage aquatic plants, and of course, take all other precautions.

They used to spray this stuff from airplanes, drifting effected other crops, which brought on lawsuits for DuPont.

https://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/attachmen ... _label.pdf

https://www.forestrydistributing.com/ou ... cide-bayer
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Depends on what kinds of weeds you are dealing with. One alternative is to use regular granulated weed and feed. The fertilizer causes the weeds in our area to grow so fast they deplete their nutrients and die- usually for the rest of the year.

Another method is buy a weed burner and a propane tank and torch em! This worked for me last year, until I turned around and saw that I had accidentally caught fire to my miniature bonsai forest , planted along the ROW. Not good.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Years ago I remembered seeing early color slides of late steam and wondered why the area next to the track was always burned black in the summer and rest of the year. Finally someone told me that the railroads used to use some monster weed burners to burn along the tracks with some special gasoline burning machines straight out of a Jules Verne themed movie. Gas was cheap enough that it was used for efficient week control each spring as the grasses began to dry out. Today many organic farming operations use carefully controlled flames to take care of their weed problems and nary a problem with any chemistry on the ground. I have found selective work with a hand held propane burner from Horror Freight hooked up to a small tank of propane to nip the early starting weeds when just little sprouts with good results. Keeps the weeds from ever going to seed and after a few years, the weed growth becomes less and less overtime as the seed production is eliminated each year.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

SteveM wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:09 pm
pat1027 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 11:39 am Any of the weed killers you can spray on your track are hazardous to your health. Some are less hazardous but they all come with safety precautions.
EVERYTHING has a health issue.

You drink too much water and it can kill you.

Steve
The original posted asked weed killers were not dangerous to his health. While it is true that without herbicides and pesticides we couldn't feed the world. That Glysphosate is among the safest herbicides to use. That drinking too much water can kill you. All herbicides are hazardous. If drinking water were a valid comparison to herbicides, Patrick Moore would have taken a swallow Gyphosate instead of saying "I'm not stupid".
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Weed burner. No chemicals.
Matt Mason
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

pat1027 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:17 pm The original posted asked weed killers were not dangerous to his health. While it is true that without herbicides and pesticides we couldn't feed the world. That Glysphosate is among the safest herbicides to use. That drinking too much water can kill you. All herbicides are hazardous. If drinking water were a valid comparison to herbicides, Patrick Moore would have taken a swallow Gyphosate instead of saying "I'm not stupid".
My point was that there is a risk to everything and we need to balance the risk with the reward.

There are some that think that "safe" is a switch that has just two positions.

Steve
rudd

Post by rudd »

Are those weed potions prototypical?
This looks like a bunch more fun.
weedburner.JPG
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

There are some tracks and some times when weed burning would not be a viable option. The railroads around here use a mixture of weed killers similar to what has been described above to keep their right-of-way cleared. If those weed potions had been available back 100 years ago, the railroads would no-doubt have used them then too.

A good solution for some may not work at all for others. Find the best solution for your particular application.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

mixing any of the above-mentioned chemicals with a 'dash of diesel' makes them more effective...or so I have heard! :lol: :shock:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.