oil cups in scale or close

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

squandt

oil cups in scale or close

Post by squandt »

Morning, dose any one know of a suppler of scale oil cups for drive /side rods? I have looked for what come's up if you Google them no luck,any help would be great. :)
stay on the shine side of the rail
ccvstmr

Re: oil cups in scale or close

Post by ccvstmr »

If you're looking for an "industrial" type solution, check out GITS oil cups. These can be purchased with a 10-32 thread size. These cups have a spring top cup to keep out other contaminants when closed. Should you decide to go this route...get a few extra cups as spares. Carl B.

IMG_7705.JPG
main rod journal keys.JPG
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

mcmaster carr also have some cups
https://www.mcmaster.com/1229k12
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I highly reccomend the spring cups, even if they may not look prototypical. The Chloe had open cups and a piece of sand got in one of the journal boxes and totally tore up the axle and box. Remaking that now as part of a valve gear overhaul.

An alternative option is a miniature grease fitting, which looks good and keeps the crud out.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

even if you have cups with spring lids (Gits type or similar), suggest packing the bottom of the fitting with felt to contain any dirt that gets in.

I have a 50+ year old loco here (that I care-take in the winter) that has open cups on everything..with pieces of an 'old cut up felt hat' packed into the bottom...and the bearings are all undamaged by 'foreign object encroachment'.

The felt not only keeps the dirt out but 'meters' the oil dispensing rate similar to a 'wick'.

sometimes the 'old fashioned' ideas are not so out of date after all.

I am doing the same on my current project...you can see the felt at the bottom of the bell-crank housing. The 'cups' on the drivers can be unscrewed which takes the entire fitting (with the felt) out for cleaning.
oil cups.jpg
The connecting rod end 'cups' have yet to be packed with felt
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
tetramachine

Post by tetramachine »

The felt idea is a very good one. My loco had been built with standard grease zerks. I removed them when the rods were rebushed, take a 1/4 x 28 set screw and cut off the portion below the hex, pack a piece of felt into the hole, set screw on top. The felt lubes the bushing, and stops any dirt from getting past the felt. Oil with a oil can. Simple
My wheels don't slow me down