2.5" Vulcan Side Frame

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

thunderskunk

Re: 2.5" Vulcan Side Frame

Post by thunderskunk »

BClemens wrote:
thunderskunk wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:43 am What CAD software are you using?
I'm using Kuboteck KeyCreator 9.0. CAD/CAM. Old version but it works very well. I've done many, many CNC machine parts using this software - with Mach3 and the embeded software in a Haas CNC machine too. Also used it for running a Sciaky electron beam welder...wrote my own post processor for it. It is good 3D software with features that I still haven't used. bc
One of my mentors who was a tool maker turned engineer used KeyCreator. The level of detail you have in that frame is impressive as I’ve been told it is a bit of a buggy program. I honestly didn’t even know it had an integrated CAM solution.

Though I will say if you have keycreator I’m not sure I’d give it up for fusion as suggested. It’s a few levels down in functionality from all the big names.
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

What I've found is to never leave a part or portion of a part partially done, or never move on in the assembly before making sure the last part is totally correct and can stand on its own. Problems will compound. This parallels actual manufacturing too and not just working with design software of any sort.
Didn't intend to go into the CAD topic with posting here but to show some progress toward making the NG Vulcan side frame. The evolution toward making most anything like this will have an origin in some sort of design or design software. Where this will go may be out of the realm of just 'live steam' but toward the elementary origin of any project. It is ludicrous to begin any machine part without a drawing or basic design in some format - like a sketch and dimensions on a piece of paper...bc
cwood1218

Post by cwood1218 »

Adam Wright has these truck available at http://www.solidesign.bizland.com/ based on the ones used by the East Broad Top.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

cwood1218 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:40 am Adam Wright has these truck available at http://www.solidesign.bizland.com/ based on the ones used by the East Broad Top.
In actuality, that is not true unfortunately. I would have purchased them rather than go through this CAD Model process!! bc