Let's cleanup that old boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Let's cleanup that old boiler

Post by Harold_V »

Gra2472 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:36 pm Thanks, I think that I will give the vinegar a try.
It is likely a good choice, as vinegar is used to descale coffee makers, and that appears to be one of your intentions.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Another alternative to neutralize the vinegar or correct the pH of boiler water is pH increaser from a pool supply store.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Harold_V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:28 pm
Gra2472 wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:36 pm Thanks, I think that I will give the vinegar a try.
It is likely a good choice, as vinegar is used to descale coffee makers, and that appears to be one of your intentions.

H
I probably should descale the coffee maker someday! I thank everyone for their insights.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Gra2472 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:58 am
Harold_V wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 3:28 pm

H
I probably should descale the coffee maker someday! I thank everyone for their insights.

Well after you finish with the boiler, save the vinegar and run it through the coffee maker. There's no reason to waste it.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Fender wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 5:20 pm Another alternative to neutralize the vinegar or correct the pH of boiler water is pH increaser from a pool supply store.
Pool pH increaser is usually sodium carbonate which reacts with water to make sodium hydroxide and CO2. Another source of sodium carbonate is Arm & Hammer washing soda, which I’ve found at Walmart.
One warning though, I’ve found sodium carbonate and zinc do not get along. Whether is was the lye or the carbonate reacting I’m not sure, but it can cause dezincification of brass or galvanized steel. For my money, I’ve found trisodium phosphate to be a better pH buffer as it will raise the pH to about 10-10.5 and won’t react with zinc, plus it does react with calcium and magnesium to act as a water softener. May be a good thing for treating scale buildup.
I know TSP has become hard to find but I have still found it in some hardware stores in solution, just beware of TSP substitutes, which are usually lye or potash. McMaster Carr also sells TSP in dry form by the pound, which is what I use.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Fender

Post by Fender »

I think it’s also worth mentioning that any of these chemicals used to treat the water are only needed in minute quantities. Of course, if you are descaling with vinegar, citric acid or hydrochloric acid, it will need to be a stronger concentration to be effective, but this is followed by a good flushing. Anything used to correct pH or otherwise treat the water while steaming will be very much diluted. Otherwise, you will be greatly increasing the dissolved solids in the water and making the scale problem worse!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Fender wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 4:36 pm I think it’s also worth mentioning that any of these chemicals used to treat the water are only needed in minute quantities. Of course, if you are descaling with vinegar, citric acid or hydrochloric acid, it will need to be a stronger concentration to be effective, but this is followed by a good flushing. Anything used to correct pH or otherwise treat the water while steaming will be very much diluted. Otherwise, you will be greatly increasing the dissolved solids in the water and making the scale problem worse!
Absolutely. I usually put a teaspoon of TSP in at fill up and then that usually buffers me for a whole weekend of running. I do check the water each day though incase it does need adjusting
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works