Let's cleanup that old boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Gra2472

Let's cleanup that old boiler

Post by Gra2472 »

Good morning live steamers.

I hope all of you are doing well, staying safe, and healthy in these strange times. As with so many others, having been stuck at home has had its benefits. I have finally torn down my allen mogul for paint and inspections. As part of this great endeavor, it is boiler inspection time which of course means cleaning time.

I did a safety inspection when I purchased the locomotive last year. Hydro tests, had a look around for leaks, and of course a boiler wash as best I could. I noticed the crusty layer of scale on everything, so I ran for a couple of days with some LSB boiler treatment hoping that it would loosen the scale up. However, after a closer look inside with my borescope this weekend, and found that the scale inside is more persistent than I expected. The scale has come loose in some places, but in others its holding on tight. I am starting slow with a mixture of CLR, and letting it sit for 24 hours. If that does not break it loose, which I doubt it will, I will have to step it up.

Here is my question for discussion. What chemical solutions have you found that work well to remove scale in small boilers?

Garrett
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
SteveM

Re: Let's cleanup that old boiler

Post by SteveM »

This is kind of a general question to the group who know more than I do on the subject:

Is it possible to attach an ultrasonic transducer to the boiler to vibrate the crud loose?

If the boiler was detached, you could submerge it in an ultrasonic cleaner, but with it still mounted, a transducer might work.

Steve
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Is this a steel or copper boiler?
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Good morning. Steel boiler with steel tubes.
7.5" Allen Mogul
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Look at Oakite31 or oakite164 if you have copper tubes or fittings. There are several other variations. It comes as a powder, mix it with water, warm it up and soak your parts. It works and it is realitivley cheap.
We used a bottom third of a 55 gal drum over a campfire, threw in cat22 parts and let it boil. It's non flammable so in that regard it is safe.
Scotty
Last edited by ChipsAhoy on Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Excellent! I'll look into it. Thanks
7.5" Allen Mogul
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I usually use ultrasonics for testing purposes, but I think it will work for cleaning.
I'll dig out my ultrasonics textbook and refresh my memory.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

I have an ultrasonic thickness tester I use on boilers now and again. I was planning on using it to have a look at the firebox sheets on my mogul. I would be very interested to hear if it could help with cleaning.
7.5" Allen Mogul
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Gra2472 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:42 pm I have an ultrasonic thickness tester I use on boilers now and again. I was planning on using it to have a look at the firebox sheets on my mogul. I would be very interested to hear if it could help with cleaning.
I suspect the signal amplitude of the UT testers is far too small to cause any loosening of scale.
And the frequency too high.
RussN
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Gra2472 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:41 am Good morning. Steel boiler with steel tubes.
Okay, my recommendations are strictly for copper boilers. Does not apply in your case.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Marty_Knox wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:19 pm I usually use ultrasonics for testing purposes, but I think it will work for cleaning.
I'll dig out my ultrasonics textbook and refresh my memory.
From what I've read, it is not very practical to clean a boiler ultrasonically. A large enough unit to immerse a boiler in would very, very expensive - if you could find one.
Fender

Post by Fender »

A typical method would be to fill the boiler with a vinegar solution, let it soak for awhile, then flush with a basic solution like bicarbonate soda. A high-pressure wash in between should remove most of it.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN