Extended Piston Rod

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Tim B Guenther

Extended Piston Rod

Post by Tim B Guenther »

Brooks Locomotive Works was building many engines with "extended piston rods" from around 1890 into the early 20th century. Can someone tell me the purpose of this feature? Thanks.
Tim Guenther
NP317

Re: Extended Piston Rod

Post by NP317 »

Please define "extended piston rod".

If it refers to the piston rods sticking out the front of the cylinders in a sealed sleeve, there are several reasons for those.
1) Bearing support for the front of the piston and rod, giving longer lifetime of the cylinder bore. No gravity pulling the piston and rod down.
I've rebored full sized locomotive cylinders that had become oval due to this wear.
2) To produce equal thrust on each side of the piston. The volume of the piston rod makes a difference.
The result is equal thrust both forward and backward, and a better balanced locomotive under load.

Anyone have other input on this?
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Any slack in the crosshead would translate in to rocking motion of the piston (and there's pretty much endless talk about how loose a loco must be to operate). I strongly suspect the extended rod was to help offset that force.

I'm not convinced gravity played a huge role in the eccentric wear, as it simply isn't that great of a force, very unlike the force of the piston rod pushing the connecting rod. Could be wrong, though! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
K. Browers

Post by K. Browers »

Hello everyone.
Extended Piston rods were very common in Europe and also stationary engines. The front of the piston did have a bushing that supported the extended piston rod. I just did a quick back of the envelope calculation of a 20 inch piston and it would weigh in the neighborhood of 175 lbs that would be a lot of weight to suspend from the cross head and a bushing in the rear cylinder head only this would eventually lead to wear on the cross head slippers the piston head bushing and the bottom of the cylinder. A engine with 45 inch drivers would make 3,500,000 revolutions in traveling 30,000 miles. What is amazing to me is that such simple machines could do so much work even when mostly worn out. :wink:
Cheers
Karel
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Hi,
In the late 1800's, certainly the above reasons were accurate, but the extended piston rod could/was also used to pump water on it's forward stroke into the sealed sleeve. I believe that B&O used this technology.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY