Anyone know where this car is?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

765nkp

Anyone know where this car is?

Post by 765nkp »

Would like to find this car and talk to the owner. It was named the screaming eagle.
Was built by Leo Myers and I believe he sold it to Eddy Yoder 25 to 30 yrs ago? It ran at my dad's track when I was a kid. Thanks for any help or contact info.

Tim Mikko
Attachments
MVIMG_20200411_160816.jpg
ianjkirby

Re: Anyone know where this car is?

Post by ianjkirby »

Hi Tim, a bit of a long shot, but during a visit to the US in summer 1990, I was walking around the main station at St Louis, and found an area upstairs from the concourse in which was a display of Leo Myers 1" scale models. I seem to remember there was a loco and a few coaches like the one in your picture. I have no idea if they are still there.
Regards, Ian Kirby. NSW Australia.
rrtrax4501

Post by rrtrax4501 »

Tim
It might be at the Drury inn on the west side of Union station, that was the last place I saw some of Leo's stuff that was originally in the station itself. I thought Leo had a family member that had a deal to put some of his stuff on display.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Tim lives near St. Louis and has visited the Displays of Leo's work. It's apparently not been part of those displays or anything. The thinking is that this car was sold to someone long before Leo died, and thus it's out there somewhere in Live Steam Land hiding in a shed, or shop, or on someone's private railroad. If you've seen it, He'd like to know when and where. Might be a clue as to who currently owns it and where it's located.

Everything Leo built was top-notch. His most famous work was probably the 1" scale models of the three locomotives involved in the Great Locomotive chase of the Civil War, the General, the Texas, and the Yonah. But he also built a lot of stuff in 1 1/2" scale, 7 1/2" gauge. That's what the above car is built to.

You might have to hire the Scooby Doo Gang to look for clues on this one!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:16 am You might have to hire the Scooby Doo Gang to look for clues on this one!
RuhRoh.jpeg
RuhRoh.jpeg (14.65 KiB) Viewed 5537 times
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:16 am Everything Leo built was top-notch. His most famous work was probably the 1" scale models of the three locomotives involved in the Great Locomotive chase of the Civil War, the General, the Texas, and the Yonah. But he also built a lot of stuff in 1 1/2" scale, 7 1/2" gauge. That's what the above car is built to.

You might have to hire the Scooby Doo Gang to look for clues on this one!
I thought the above car was 1" scale...
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Leo had built a Mercer Camelback 0-4-0 in 7 1/2" gauge. A few years ago someone that got on this board had bought it from an estate and either was going to sell it or going to try to fix it. I think it did sell, but not sure. As I recall, it was partially disassembled at the time. I know the boiler was off of it, and may have had issues.

Leo also had a 4-2-4 C.P. Huntington in 7 1/2" gauge. It also had a small train of lightweight cars that he pulled behind it. I remember that the locomotive was very slippery, being a 4-2-4, and Leo had weights that he would add in certain locations on the locomotive before he would go out and run. He used one of LE's cast aluminum boxcars on arch bar trucks as a riding car right behind the locomotive. There was also a small gondola and a flat-roof old timey caboose. I'm not sure about the gondola or the box car, but the caboose actually had working brakes on it, in that if you turned the brake wheel, it would clamp down the brake shoes, just like a full size mechanical brake. You had to release the ratchet on the brake stand to get the brakes to release. It was lettered for Ozark Lines, which is what most of his stuff was lettered for.

He also built other stuff, and some other cars, but I can't remember them all right now. He used to bring that CP down to Mid-South when I was a kid. In fact, he ran that thing at a lot of places. It was a very beautiful locomotive and consist. It wouldn't pull very well, so he usually stayed on the lower loop where the grades were 1.5% or less.
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the car is 1.5" scale and 7.5 ga.
thanks for the help so far
Tim
rrtrax4501

Post by rrtrax4501 »

Do you know who has Leo's stuff down at Union station ? There was a Blue 4-4-2 1 1/2 scale LE engine along with a 0-4-0 in one inch LE that I never saw before, plates said by Leo Meyers. The car might be in the building someplace...