Was there ever a NG SW1 or 1200?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BClemens

Re: Was there ever a NG SW1 or 1200?

Post by BClemens »

rkcarguy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:30 am NG is limited to the D&RGW X-1 and similar, or the 44 Tonner and other similar locomotives like Glenn posted.
What is your goal? Wider train on 7-1/2" gage tracks?
The size of 2 1/2" scale (on 7 1/2" gauge) is what we are looking for and will not follow a specific prototype since the look of the SW1200 is what we wish (single exhaust and engine house lower than cab height). The later version utility gasoline engines being a slanted design is lower but wider than the earlier L head vertical engines. The wider cab of the 2 1/2" will accommodate a larger more powerful late model engine. Maybe we should start by building a small flat head inline six cylinder engine... :shock: joking of course - if I had another 7 or so years to dedicate to the project I would do just that... Darn shame being practical when model building is such a hindrance! I have a small two cylinder 4 cycle strut pump engine that may work but I don't believe those engines were intended to do hard work for any length of time - get the plane landed on a down and locked landing gear strut...
The intent is to have a locomotive that is ready at a moments notice but can run for long periods - with fuel.
Thanks for the reply's!
bc
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Ok I understand. I'm doing my own thing in 2" scale on 12" gage track in the grand scales section, and the Honda GX390 I'm using for power barely fits in the cab (modeling a Baldwin S-12).
I don't see a problem with making your own NG SW1200 if that's what you really want. Make some nice thick truck sides and drive wheels and I don't think it will be all that noticeable.
FYI, I made my "fuel tank" a large multi-pass muffler and it really worked well in not only quieting up the GX390 but I was able to turn the idle way down compared to the little OEM muffler. The larger displacement of the GX390 gives it a deeper tone also instead of that lawnmower noise that is hard to get rid of with the smaller 5.5-7hp motors.
Another interesting thought, is I have seen open class go kart racers use TWO 7HP Harbor Freight motors in "train configuration" with sprockets and chain between the two crank shafts and the cranks indexed 180* of each other = poor mans twin that is narrow enough to fit a kart. Getting electric start to work on that might take some creativity though.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

EMD made a NG diesel G22CU for export to many NG countries, sort of looks like a smaller version of the U25B (U-boat).
A few NG oddball diesels were also made for CN in Newfoundland. You can google image search "narrow gage diesel locos" and see all the odd critters that were made.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

I spent all of my young woken hours dwelling on steam so my knowledge of diesel locomotives is pretty scant. As a kid I watched a SW1500 run boxcars on a spur to a razerblade factory near our house and I marveled - but steam locomotives couldn't be rivaled. I was born a bit too late, that was 'penny on the track' days...
Your 'two motor' suggestion is good and I'm checking out the Honda engines too. Thanks for that! I'm googling...
bc
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

BClemens

Post by BClemens »

My designations of the SW series EMD's is probably off. The SW1000 is the look with single exhaust and the SW1200 is probably the childhood one. In looking, the SW1500 is larger than the ASR (American Safety Razor) engine. I remember the exhaust chattery little whistle noise when the engineer revved up to get the engine moving.
Sorry steam guys, this is boring for you like it used to be with me... Diesel Locomotive? Phooey!
bc
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

James Powell wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:26 pm Take a look at:
http://www.okthepk.ca/news/2020041401.htm

James
Interesting...those are large engines. The engineer could carry his lunch on the dash! I guess I'm easing into diesels at this point and four wheeled trucks are fine.
bc
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

BClemens wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:22 pm I spent all of my young woken hours dwelling on steam so my knowledge of diesel locomotives is pretty scant. As a kid I watched a SW1500 run boxcars on a spur to a razerblade factory near our house and I marveled - but steam locomotives couldn't be rivaled. I was born a bit too late, that was 'penny on the track' days...
Your 'two motor' suggestion is good and I'm checking out the Honda engines too. Thanks for that! I'm googling...
bc
We had a high hood BN diesel (not sure if it was 4 or 6 axle) that served our local yard for years when I was a kid, and it ended up in the bay when there was a mudslide/rockslide south of town one night when it was serving the mill. I always liked the SW1200 and SW1500 but only saw a couple in my entire kid years. For modeling purposes, they have a bit deeper cab that will better fit an engine compared to the SW1.
Both my S12 and my mini-dozer are powered by "reclaimed" Honda GX390's I scavenged from dead pressure washers. $0 price was nice, but it was a fair amount of sweat equity getting them torn down (pump is invariably seized on crankshaft ugh).
If you've got lathe access the twin stacks for the SW1200/1500 are easy enough to make from sch80 pipe.
I would prefer the single "big block" Honda over the pair of small engines, but see what you can come up with. The Briggs V-twin is also a nice "cube" shape and should fit nicely if you remove the OEM muffler and fuel tank and make your own. They have a pressurized oil system and would be what I'd use if I had a larger budget.