BR55/G8.1 Locomotive Project

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

datman

Re: BR55/G8.1 Locomotive Project

Post by datman »

Thanks!
NP317 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:23 pm
datman wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 4:51 am Hi,

Is there any proper wheel standards? I have been to a few different websites (http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... l_Standard, https://www.dbc-d.de/gleisstandard.htm) and looked at different plans, there is no consistency. So I am not sure where to go from here.
Thanks
Ian
I would stick with the IBLS standards.
RussN
datman

Post by datman »

Hi,

I am considering silver soldering brass/bronze on steel for the axle block. Has anyone done this? Steel is cheap, bronze is hard to get in NZ in small quantities and expensive.
Axleblock.png
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

While not for a locomotive, yes, I've silver soldered brass or bronze to steel many times. It works perfectly well, assuming you avoid aluminum bronze. It's difficult to solder with the flux commonly used for silver soldering. It, too, may solder fine with the proper flux.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
datman

Post by datman »

Thanks Harold.
datman

Post by datman »

Hi,

How much suspension travel should I need at 5" gauge?

Thanks
Ian
datman

Post by datman »

Does anyone have detailed photos of a BR55 locomotive which you can share?
Secondly, does anyone have detailed drawings of a Westinghouse brake cylinder used on a BR55?

Many Thanks.
Ian
datman

Post by datman »

Hi,

I have been slowly working on the Cad model.
G8_1.JPG
What is a good accepted steam regulator design?

Thanks
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Ian,
Sorry for the lack of response to your posts.

I did a quick Google search of the BR55 and got many links to the Prussian 0-8-0’s.

As far as the Westinghouse brake cylinders, there is much information available on Westinghouse air brake systems. Do you have any details about the cylinders you are wanting information for?

Take care,
Brian
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

You may have some challenges finding drawings for a Westinghouse brake cylinder for a locomotive. In the U.S., Westinghouse "foundation brake gear" (cylinder(s), linkage, etc.) was designed by Westinghouse and sold as a kit of parts. The locomotive builders didn't prepare their own drawings. I've spent considerable time looking for drawings for the brake gear for a 1942-1945 U.S. War Department 2-8-0. The only success I have had was a partial set of drawings that were redrawn by the Polish, who had several hundred of this design after the war. You may have better luck looking for a commercial model that uses a similar brake design with a cylinder in the correct location and orientation and adapting it. I looks like the cylinder is vertical, under the cab. I believe that Allen Mogul has a similar cylinder so might be a good starting place.
datman

Post by datman »

Hi Brain,

I have original drawings, but that is it. I assume a bit was left up to the builders of the locomotive to make their own decisions.
G8_1 Brake Cylinder.JPG
I have got a 1:32 model, but no decent details on it either. I have drawn a brake cylinder that might pass a quick visual inspection.
I have noticed there are variations galore between the G8.1 versions that there may be no fixed standard for some of the build. So I may have some bits on the Locomotive that were not specific to the one I am drawing.

Regards
Ian

makinsmoke wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:26 pm Ian,
Sorry for the lack of response to your posts.

I did a quick Google search of the BR55 and got many links to the Prussian 0-8-0’s.

As far as the Westinghouse brake cylinders, there is much information available on Westinghouse air brake systems. Do you have any details about the cylinders you are wanting information for?

Take care,
Brian
datman

Post by datman »

Hi Dick,

I think you are right! I have put in a picture of an original drawing, all the info I have. As mentioned above I am not going to get to fussy as there were many variations.

Regards
Ian
Dick_Morris wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 4:11 am You may have some challenges finding drawings for a Westinghouse brake cylinder for a locomotive. In the U.S., Westinghouse "foundation brake gear" (cylinder(s), linkage, etc.) was designed by Westinghouse and sold as a kit of parts. The locomotive builders didn't prepare their own drawings. I've spent considerable time looking for drawings for the brake gear for a 1942-1945 U.S. War Department 2-8-0. The only success I have had was a partial set of drawings that were redrawn by the Polish, who had several hundred of this design after the war. You may have better luck looking for a commercial model that uses a similar brake design with a cylinder in the correct location and orientation and adapting it. I looks like the cylinder is vertical, under the cab. I believe that Allen Mogul has a similar cylinder so might be a good starting place.
datman

Post by datman »

Is a rotary or linear valve best for a steam regulator? I think linear myself.

I think the either design is fairly simple, but wondering what I do not know (which is a lot!).

I will draw something up and post.