Steam Locomotive model drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mark Landgraf

Re: Steam Locomotive model drawings

Post by Mark Landgraf »

you asked about Joe Tanski
William Morewood designed the 2-4-0 Raritan in 3/4 inch scale. This kit was sold to and is available today from Joe Tanski of Eden NY
Dave Sclavi, an others, did a Rdg 0-4-0 Camelback as well as a Group build project Rdg 4-6-0 Camelback in 1½ inch scale.
Appearing LS was a build project for a BLW Westinghouse electric boxcab in 1½ inch scale. It was originated at a California LS Club and about 20 were built there. Later, Dave Sclavi produced about 24 more

Mark Landgraf
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

I believe Carrdo (Don Carr) on here owns the patterns and drawings for the Hoffman Hudson. It makes a very powerful engine, or at least ours was basically unstoppable. It also weighed rather more than dad could lift on his own when he was my age...

James Powell
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Appearing LS was a build project for a BLW Westinghouse electric boxcab in 1½ inch scale. It was originated at a California LS Club and about 20 were built there. [/quote wrote: This should be the same locomotive I mentioned several posts up designed by John Grant.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

dnevil wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:58 pm
hoppercar wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:45 am I dont see little engines on.the list
Yea, that's a tricky one. The former owner threatened to sue me for using the name of the company. So I systematically removed all references from the IBLS website. I don't think that they have a legal standing, but since this is all done for free I'd hate to get tangled in a nasty drawn out lawsuit that I would have to pay for out of my own pocket.

I don't think it is difficult for anyone to find out about those drawings.

Daris
I'm not an attorney but I've dealt with copyright and trademark issues in my profession and there is little chance any such case would even be taken on by their attorney. Writing "Plans for xyz locomotives are available from Little Engines," violates no trademark or copyright. Yes, it's not worth dueling over, and it's very short-sighted on their part to turn down what is essentially free advertising and to antagonize their customers in what is a very small market.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:39 am That Light mogul that was drawn by Paul Brien of Nashville is actually a re-drawing of the Pershing G. Scott Mogul. It beefed up a few things, gave a huge amount of detals, and used larger rods, but the locomotive is the 'Scotty Mogul'.

Also add to the list the Miller Backyard Railroad 4-4-0, which used piston valves and 100% cutoff, with a plunger in the middle which changed it from inside steam to outside steam for reversing. Paul Brien built one of those 4-4-0s, heavily modified to make it work and track better. He then designed a 4-6-0 using those castings, which he called the LRR ten-wheeler. Unfortunately the cylinder casting (1 piece casting) which was used is no longer available.
I have photos of Paul Brien's 4-4-0 from Miller Backyard Railroad castings, and a photo of the 0-6-0 that Paul built. Do you have any photos of the 4-6-0? Are there any drawings in existence?
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

Wayne Davis wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:51 pm I built a Scotty Mogul with valve gear drawing from Paul Brian's 260. The drawings Scotty sold were from Bill Hall that he drew up from Carl Purinton's Mogul. Paul made improvements to Carl's engine and it is a sweet running engine.

Wayne
Wow, that's a complicated genealogy :D

Do you have any photos of the locomotives you've listed?
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Paul never built the 4-6-0 from those plans. By that time he was well up in years and he was very slow at moving around and doing anything inside the shop. He made drawings, and Greg Glos from Franklin built the locomotive. It actually uses Allen Mogul drive wheels, and the aforementioned cylinder casting, which Paul actually made a pattern for and had a few of them cast. The casting actually says Paul F Brien on the saddle right under the smoke box.

Yes, I have drawings for BOTH the new and old style Scotty Mogul (although I do not have Paul's CAD files), and I have the drawings for the LRR Ten Wheeler, which is what Paul named it (again paper copies only). The LRR ten wheeler has a marine style boiler on it, and it's a pretty big and heavy ten wheeler. Those cylinders are also very large at 2.5" x 3", they have plenty of power for something even bigger.
Last edited by Pontiacguy1 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Let's see: Pictures...
Glos ten wheeler JPG.jpg
This is the LRR Ten Wheeler. If we had more of the cylinder castings, this would be a locomotive that would be simple and cheap to build (comparatively), and it's a real powerhouse too. Those looking for prototypical fidelity need not apply. It is, however, a simple and very robust locomotive that is a ton of fun. I have one cylinder casting (they are a one-piece casting), and some guy in Florida has another one. That's it that I know of. I'm going to try to stretch mine out and build a somewhat reasonable copy of an N&W M-class 4-8-0 with my cylinder set.
Brien 2-6-0.jpg
This is Paul's redrawn 'Scotty' mogul. Again, castings haven't been available that I know of for about 25 years. the casting kit was only 2 cylinder blocks, 6 drive wheels and 2 lead truck wheels. Everything else was fabricated or used from something else, mainly fabricated. It is a freelance locomotive, but it has good power for its size, and has good proportions and pleasing features. You could use another set of drive wheel castings, and the cylinders could be made from solid cast iron chunks if you didn't have castings available. The cylinder castings were solid iron with no cores if I remember correctly. It even had part-by-part drawings for the boiler, which is a true Belpaire.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:19 pm ...If we had more of the cylinder castings, this would be a locomotive that would be simple and cheap to build...
If there was real interest producing new cylinder castings would be an easy fix... wheels too.

Do you have a complete drawing set for the engine?
-Frank K.
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

Here is a picture of my Mogul. It has a 7" boiler with a real Belpair firebox, the same size as Paul's. The Scotty Mogul has a 8" boiler. The Iowa Model Steam Engineers has a set of loose patterns for the Mogul cylinders, steam chest, chest cover, drivers, and pilot wheels. They were made by a member that poured his own and donated them to the club.

Wayne
Attachments
IMG_3869 Small.jpg
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

Here is a video of a triple header. The front green Mogul was made by Scotty, and the last one is mine running before it was finished. The middle engine was built by an IMSE club member.

https://youtu.be/ZPqUCaMER30
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I have a complete set of paper drawings for the LRR 10-wheeler locomotive. There were no tender drawings that I'm aware of. The thought was that almost any tender of any size or shape would work behind it.