I thought this was supposed to be fun.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: I thought this was supposed to be fun.

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Say, folks, I'm going to start a new thread to show you what is happening with my wood cab since this thread has descended into a thread about shop mice, and doesn't have a relevant title anyway. So check there to see how the cab for old #26 1/2 is coming along. In the mean time.....

SCOOORE! :twisted:

Got 'em! One on dry dog food and one on dog jerky. So that's four, counting the one that stole the trap and one I got about two weeks ago.

I've re-baited all the traps with the dog jerky as that smells very strong compared to the dry dog food. We'll see what we get in the morning.

IMG_8091.JPG
IMG_8092.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

He's not dead...he's just resting.....
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:37 pm He's not dead...he's just resting.....
:mrgreen: But he sure hit the ground with a thud when I deposited the corpse over the back fence. Hope the turkey vultures enjoy it.

BTW, I'm working on the story of the cab roof and will probably not get it posted until tomorrow.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Gotta love this group of crazy steamers.
Mousers.
Mole Grippers.
Whatever.
RussN
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Why have we gone from live steam to mouse hunting ??....why arent the moderators deleting this posting
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

hoppercar wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:47 am Why have we gone from live steam to mouse hunting ??....why arent the moderators deleting this posting
Because there's room to share our experiences on this board. So long as folks stay polite, and avoid politics and religion, their comments are welcome.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Read the posting under "SUBJECT MATTER"
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

hoppercar wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:47 am Why have we gone from live steam to mouse hunting ??....why arent the moderators deleting this posting
The original post included his frustration with shop mice.... And so everyone was sharing their tips on taking care of that.

to the OP...

I've been in a situation like that before. I was building a caboose, thought was doing a great job... then I hit a point where I was like "WTF WAS I THINKING???". The project sat for a while, I tried milling out the openings on the windows....

...eventually we had a little water trouble in our basement and the thing got water damaged. Oh well, it went in the trash.

A new one is in the works, and I have learned so much from the original project. Helps that I had actual drawings to work with, too.... Coming along nicely, though it's been on a hiatus for a year now. Hopefully this winter I can find some time to continue working on it.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Making things often has it's challenges. It might be a complicated locomotive model, it might be a bird house. We can sometimes build ourselves into a corner. Wiggling out of the corner is what separates those who finish things from ones that don't. I find that after working on a problem for a while I will often develop tunnel vision. At this point it's often good to set the problem aside and sleep on it. Maybe sleep on it for a week, or even a month. Maybe put it completely out of your mind for a while. Then come back and have a fresh look. Often a new solution will pop right up, now why didn't I think of that before. Also the attitude in which the problem is approached will make a difference. A delightful little puzzle....or a terrible conundrum. As Greg said, "This is supposed to be fun". :D
Jack
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hi folks:

Thanks for the encouragement. The troublesome part has passed (at least as far as I can see at this point). The cab roof project will be posted in a new thread as soon as I finish writing it up.

And I apologize for the dead mouse photos. The forum does not need that. In my glee I didn't realize that it was pushing the envelope and it might be troublesome for some folks. I'll do better next time.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

I have problems in my shop with mice, snakes, spiders, squirrels and birds. It's amazing how much damage small critters can do. Just about all the ceiling insulation has been ripped out by critters. The locomotives I build (electric) are made with wood and metals. I enjoy working both with wood and metals.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I talk to mine and try to make pets out of them. Eventually they grow up and leave home.
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....