7" schedule 40 tube

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

STVX7

7" schedule 40 tube

Post by STVX7 »

Trying to find 7" schedule 40 tube. Apparently finding it is like finding Big Foot. Some say it exists, but there seems to be no solid proof. So.. anyone know where to find it?
I'm no machinist, but I do own a drill press .
Ken Schroeder

Re: 7" schedule 40 tube

Post by Ken Schroeder »

7" schedule 40 pipe isn't made. Schedule 40 6" pipe has a 6 5/8" OD. For an exact 7" you will have to go to some type of tubing.
STVX7

Post by STVX7 »

What else would be suitable for a boiler?
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Apparently there are three or four types of plate and tube steel acceptable for boilers. One of our boiler guys in the club is sending me some reference material. I’d be happy to forward on to you, when I receive it. Hopefully tomorrow.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I have never seen 7" pipe. 6" pipe at 6-5/8" is the closest you are going to get. I've seen some drawings specifying a 7" round tube, but that stuff is structural grade not pressure rated, and they ended up using 6" Sch 80 instead because the 7" tube wasn't readily available.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Southlandpipe.net has 7" pipe listed on the chart ( 3 different schedules). So it is made, BUT that doesn't mean it is easy to get. You'd have to call, and good luck getting a short piece. They may however know someone who does have it.

Nyle
steamingon

Post by steamingon »

Hello, I have purchased a six foot length of 7" pipe 5/16 wall from a contractor who purchased it from https://www.tiogapipe.com/ The pipe is certified to ASME 106B. The pipe I have is not for sale BUT if you PM me I might be able to purchase more. Otherwise I suggest you contact Tioga Pipe. The size pipe is special order and is most likely not going to be listed on any ones website.
steamingon

Post by steamingon »

The 7" sch 40 pipe may be available here;
http://www.southlandpipe.net/Steel_Pipe ... tions.html
STVX7

Post by STVX7 »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:20 am Apparently there are three or four types of plate and tube steel acceptable for boilers. One of our boiler guys in the club is sending me some reference material. I’d be happy to forward on to you, when I receive it. Hopefully tomorrow.

Glenn
thank you
STVX7

Post by STVX7 »

steamingon wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:09 am Hello, I have purchased a six foot length of 7" pipe 5/16 wall from a contractor who purchased it from https://www.tiogapipe.com/ The pipe is certified to ASME 106B. The pipe I have is not for sale BUT if you PM me I might be able to purchase more. Otherwise I suggest you contact Tioga Pipe. The size pipe is special order and is most likely not going to be listed on any ones website.
will do thanks
STVX7

Post by STVX7 »

thanks for the help. im in the really early stages of building a Mercer camel back but im currently trying to talk myself into continuing with it. Especically since it seemed imposiable to get boiler material
Fender

Post by Fender »

I also need some pipe this size. Might be possible for a group to divide up a 20’ piece, and obtain what we need. Anyone live near one of these suppliers?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN