3 Boiler tri cocks ?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

nabob

Re: 3 Boiler pet cocks ?

Post by nabob »

also called "try cocks" as they are used to "try" the water level. Likely there are other terms used in different locations and railroads, industries etc.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Hi Glenn;
I guess I am a purist and do things like keep the original electro-pneumatic relay for the 1919 Wurlitzer we are installing at our home.
At least could I suggest that you preserve all of the original parts, including the boiler so that at some point in the future the locomotive could be returned to its original gauge and configuration?
We are only custodians of these historic pieces. I’m a little sorry that you are changing the gauge as now you will be unable to operate with original Cagney Class C locomotives as they are all 12- 5/8” gauge.
Keith
Attachments
notcagney.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

As FWIW, I asked around at our weekly live steam breakfast meetup today, and learned State of Washington has restricted boiler shells to no less than 3/8” thickness. So one more spike in the coffin for my old boiler.

Not sure if this is a national code change, or only applies to the State of Wa.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....