weird RR machine

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

pat1027

Re: weird RR machine

Post by pat1027 »

They say it powered a winch in a logging operation.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

WITH A LOT OF GEARS in between....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NWCF_1

Post by NWCF_1 »

Hmmm

This appears to be the fully functional prototype for the Rube Goldberg principle that toured the United States between 1911 and 1913; unfortunately the prototype was lost during the initial trials of the Goldberg Loader.

Stan
Garage cleaning as complete as possible- next step test Lincoln Idealarc 250 roundtop
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Definitely an early railroad motorcar.
The "steering wheel" probably moves the friction take-off wheel sideways for forward/reverse, and speed control.
The latched control rods likely apply pressure to the friction wheel drive, the brakes, and the top one connects to the top of the engine, perhaps for throttle control.
The "power take-off" shaft to the right of the motor appears to have rods operating plunger pumps below, with attached plumbing visible to the motor, likely for motor cooling water.

I've rebuilt four railroad motorcars and once found a Fairbanks-Morse "speeder" with a friction wheel drive similar to that shown in the critter photo.
I was unable to purchase it for restoration to operation. Too bad. A very rare and unique railway motorcar, as is the pictured Rube-Goldberg beast.
Fun machinery to contemplate.
RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

And, the very interesting adaption of a square, stationary shop boiler as a primary power source...

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:57 am And, the very interesting adaption of a square, stationary shop boiler as a primary power source...

Glenn
Tongue-in-cheek I presume...
RussN
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Russ, is kind of an oxy-moron I guess. But an interesting adaptation for it (the boiler). These old square shop boilers were the kind used to power overhead line shafts in machine shops. Looks like someone adopted the same principle to turn the wheels on this little inspection car - our whatever it is... If I remember correctly, I think they are self tending regarding water and fuel.

Just looked at one of these boilers in a restored machine shop up near Bellingham the other day. Pretty amazing configuration. Looked Skookum! Sure like to have one to heat the shop in winter.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Glenn:
Close inspection will show the builders plate on the engine to read "C.E. Traves, Fresno".
They were an early gas engine builder in California.
The engine has simple overhead intake valves driven by chain from the left side flywheel, and the exhaust valves are operated by the rocker just above the builders plate.
Quite an interesting machine.
RussN