Franklin C-1 booster

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

utahwestie

Franklin C-1 booster

Post by utahwestie »

Hello All,

Does anyone have any plans for a Franklin C-1 booster? I'm thinking about a building project.

Thanks in advance.
~Anthony~
~Ex Pat Kiwi now living in Salt Lake City, Utah
little giant

Re: Franklin C-1 booster

Post by little giant »

www.livesteamlocomotives.com has drawings of full size booster engine. There is about 12 drawings from what I remember(under steam locomotive appliance drawings/Franklin Supply Co.). You can also get to the website thru www.discoverlivesteam.com
Mark Landgraf

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Hi,

Franklin had boosters for use on the trailing truck of locomotives and for use on tender trucks. I saw that the C-2 could be used either way. How are you going to use yours?

The long and short of it is I have 125 scanned Franklin factory prototype drawings and a couple scanned instruction manuals for Franklin boosters. They are not sorted out for C-1 or C-2 or for loco or for tender. They are all drawings for the full size, not scale.

They will fit on a DVD.

utahwestie, if you'd like these drawings, please contact me off line at

mark_landgraf at yahoo dot com
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

I have a preliminary 3D model of a booster in 1.5/1.6" scale I intend to make for my Mikado (some day).

It's been a while since I worked on it, but I could either share it, or make the drawings for the parts.

Karl
www.karlkobel.com
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Would be interesting to see some 1.6 scale booster drawings with dimensions to see just what size of materials or castings would be needed. Have considered making one before the boiler is attached to the frame. Far easier to deal with the booster at this time that working around a firebox. Wonder if Karl Kobel could step to the plate on this one.
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

Stay tuned...
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

It has been over a year and no current updates on the 1.6 scale booster drawings have been posted. Any time line for when the drawings might be completed?
bobrauper

Post by bobrauper »

Hello Rwilliams,
I built a C-2 (non operating) on my Santa Fe L.E. Pacific. I used Jack's universal joints and exhaust castings and scratch built the rest. It had to fit under the cab and meet other clearance issues, to don't get too hung up on exact sizing and details. Most of the unit is hidden under the cab floor. I scratch built the cylinder cocks as fabricated elements. Once again, they are not a real visible element. I simply used 3/8" copper tube that I threaded and inserted into Jack's pieces. Ran the tube on brackets under the walkways. The hard part was the steam dome valve, as details are a little hard to come by. I was fortunate, I had a left side view of my loco that showed some of the device attached to the steam dome. All my details were gleaned from the Franklin C-2 sales manual on the internet. Don't wait for exact drawings, as Jack B. says "Git er done". Smile....
Bob Rauperstrauch
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

I designed this a few years ago with the intent of building a working booster for my Mikado. I didn't get around to make the drawings before I lost my access to Solidworks. I tried importing the parts into other CAD packages, like OnShape, but the parts imported are not editable. I shared the 3D models with Anthony <don't remember his last name> to make the drawings, but never heard from him after. I recently got a student license for Solidworks and can produce the drawings if anyone is still interested.

Booster.PNG

Fair warning: I'm not a mechanical engineer and tend to make my parts line-on-line and build the tolerance in during construction.

BTW: If anyone is interested in getting a student license for Solidworks, join the EAA (Experimental Aircraft Association).

Karl
www.karlkobel.com
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

Is it possible to get one of your dvd's of the booster drawings? edscabforward@gmail.com
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

Is it possible to purchase a copy of your dvd of the Franklin booster drawings? edscabforward@gmail.com
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

As soon as I get the drawings done, I will share them.
I will release them for anyone for their own personal use.
Any commercial use will require permission.

Karl