Running a live steamer "1930s style"

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JohnK

Running a live steamer "1930s style"

Post by JohnK »

Group,

We (my family) recently completed our 3-1/2" gauge highline at Malden, Mass. (near Boston).

The track is a 100-foot long "back and forth" line in the tradition of the early tracks such as that of Mr. Purinton (Carl) at Marblehead, Mass. in the 1930s. There is a 25-foot radius curve, and, a slight grade.

We are scheduling running meets for this fall, and will have several next season. If anyone's interested in visiting and running an engine in the real "old school" tradition, send me an email please to NELS@friendsmodels.com and I will provide further information.

-John K.
JBodenmann

Re: Running a live steamer "1930s style"

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
That sounds like a lot of fun and I wish I could attend but it's a long ways for me. The book "Live Steam Of Years Gone By" by Charles Purinton contains some great photos of running back and forth along the driveway at the Purinton's home in Marblehead Ma. They looked so dignified and gentlemanly running dressed in coats, ties, and hats. Everyone seemed to be having a wonderful time. The size of the railway has nothing to do with how cool a railway is! Tiny locomotives, some good food, lots of pointing and talking...ahh wonderful. One of the things that I at the end of a gathering is to line everyone up with their loco's for a black and white coat and tie photo. Just like in the old days. Please post some photos. Too much fun.
Jack
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Cap with spike.jpg
Jack, and all- Here is Carl Purinton's grandson "Cap", now about aged 70, driving the gold spike. He's the last "Purinton" involved in the hobby. The loco at left is "Jim Skeevers", which is described in the "Live Steam of Years Gone By" book. I was honored that it made an appearance at our track.

At right is Jay Monty's "Frodo", a Purinton 0-4-0 that he (Jay) built.

We ran Frodo in an absolute downpour all afternoon and it was great!
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SpOCNAtaI

Here is Frodo, running in the rain.
shild

Post by shild »

JohnK wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:11 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SpOCNAtaI

Here is Frodo, running in the rain.
Was hoping you'd put another vid up. Looks like you're working on a switch now? Did you ever get the track to stop slowly walking toward the fence?
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

shild wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:21 pm Was hoping you'd put another vid up. Looks like you're working on a switch now? Did you ever get the track to stop slowly walking toward the fence?
Thanks for watching the video.

Yes, a switch with siding (that will hold 2 locos and tenders) is in process. It will be ready for our fall meets. We also have 2 steaming bays (not seen in the video), and, another steaming bay will be built next to the siding.

Yes, the track "walk" by the fence, where it tended to move from where I wanted it to be, and go toward the fence, has been corrected. It is solid as a rock, doesn't budge, doesn't wobble, etc. and not even the Revere MA tornado of 4 years ago that blew through here, budged it. Prior to that, a couple years earlier, a hurricane (forget which one) ripped about one-third of the track (the WHOLE structure) off the mainline, and threw it (about 30 feet of complete track structure) into the neighbor's yard.

Remember please, if anyone wants to run his or her 3-1/2" gauge steam engine here, he or she can contact me at NELS@friendsmodels.com.
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

For the fashion conscious, check out the attached video. It was a different era.

Brotherhood Of Live Steamers -- 1930s to 1989:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/m5rhjtoP7y4
Attachments
Steam Fashion 3.png
Steam Fashion 4.png
Steam Fashion 5.png
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Classy times.
Thanks for sharing.
~RN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Very cool John, track and film. But wait, shouldn't film of 3/4" engines be black and white? Oh, I guess it's not film these days, it's video. Just a confused old guy! Too much fun! Wish I could have been there.
Jack
shild

Post by shild »

JBodenmann wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:35 pm Hello My Friends
Very cool John, track and film. But wait, shouldn't film of 3/4" engines be black and white? Oh, I guess it's not film these days, it's video. Just a confused old guy! Too much fun! Wish I could have been there.
Jack
If he lets me go I can take care of that. I just don't have a live steamer I can run.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I suppose with a 100' run that brakes are a must? Or do you just lift the engine up off the track if it starts to get too fast? :D
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
elm53

Post by elm53 »

Shut yhe throttle, reverse and crack the throttle, or get off and grab the riding car.