Smokebox Detailing

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rmac

Re: Smokebox Detailing

Post by rmac »

RR Ty wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:53 am How well do the printed parts hold up to the heat?
Also, how badly (if at all) do they deteriorate due to the UV radiation in sunlight?
thej611

Post by thej611 »

There is resin that will hold up to heat and uv Radiation . I think it would be great to experiment with the differant resin to make these work
thej611

Post by thej611 »

There is a resin that will take 365 F
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

thej611 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:24 am There is a resin that will take 365 F
365F is not hot enough for anything attached to the smokebox. they tend to get most hotter then that when working
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
thej611

Post by thej611 »

Well then the other option to use the resin as a mold for casting which can be done . there are somc castable resin that works like lost wax
flavinny

Post by flavinny »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:54 pm If you are referring to the one in the photo below (photo shows two on a sprue), I was involved with that and there was no lamp for it. There are others on Shapeways for other scales that include lamps and perhaps there is a way to get them scaled for your need.

Screen Shot 2021-12-14 at 1.51.15 PM.png
Greg I took a look at their web page but was not able to find the lamps you described. Seems if they are available
it should be easy to scale them up.? Can you provide a link to the page where you saw them? I also sent them a note
with the same question.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

The lamps are scattered about the site from different sources. The owner of the site with the brackets is also a visitor here from time to time and perhaps he'll come up with something. Otherwise you have to do a search in the trains section for "lamps" "markers" "classification" etc. to get to them. All that I found are for smaller scales but if they have the drawing it should be no big deal to scale it up. Let us know what happens as I could use some lamps, too.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
tyleire

Post by tyleire »

I've had good luck with smokebox detail parts through https://californialocomotive.com and classification lamps from http://railroadsupply.com
flavinny

Post by flavinny »

I went with lights from Franklin Automatic Machine Co and found them to be well made. To my surprise they rotate and are detented every 90 deg. I am now looking for junction boxes. At the FLS winter meet in Dundee I saw a few engines that had rectangular boxes that were ~1'" X .75" but noone seemed to know if they are still available. Any suggestions?
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

As for builders plates, go to black hills designs...he advertises on Facebook.....I just got mine from there....there the best
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Sam.. contact me highiron@aol.com.. I make over 100 detailed parts from handrail stanchions to Smoke Box door Dogs 2 grab irons headlights the brackets wash out plugs I will send you a series of pictures
318J

Post by 318J »

That's mighty kind Mike, but I posted this thread back in 2017. That being said with a new project of mine getting started, perhaps I may be in touch with you sometime about the parts you offer. I remember you having some very beautiful offerings.
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"