Future of Superscale Locomotive

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Berkman

Re: Future of Superscale Locomotive

Post by Berkman »

It is rather sad to see such great work and craftsmanship be lost but also agree that most of the "needs" are now met by other suppliers.

A similar fate to the old East Coast locomotive works castings that made a NYC 4-6-4, B&M 4-8-2 and a Sou 4-6-2.

What happened to all the railroad warehouse stuff? they made some nice hand rail stanchions etc
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Berkman - yes Brian's mufflers will fit Daves safeties , but there is 2 sizes you need to be aware of .

The first batch or style Dave made is slightly different in OD from the later versions , so Brian has 2 different machining spec's .

Before you order you want to do some measurements of the top stem of the valves you have and let Brian know so he can machine the mufflers to suit .

This is the process I had to go through when we first found out there was a difference as the first mufflers did not match the later version safeties
I bought off Dave .

Brian spoke with Dave after we found the difference , Dave changed some of the diamensions , can't remember why , probably improving the valve .
Brains products are excellent and good value for money when you consider the work involved to produce each item .

Dave's safeties and Brian's mufflers make a very good set ( I have 5 on my Challenger)
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Regarding Railroad Warehouse products.

As I understand it many items marketed were
bought when Railroad Supply went out of business in the 80’s? Not sure of the timing.

The current Railroad Supply sells many of these same items, and as Steve has mentioned he and Mike are updating items as needed.

If you are looking for specific items like stanchions download the Railroad Supply catalog
available on line and see if what you are looking for is there.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

Or call Mike. He has a lot of items that are not in the catalog yet, especially diesel detail parts.

Jim B
P Ledbetter

Post by P Ledbetter »

back to the Railroad Warehouse Products

I purchased the pipe fitting molds, all 3 sizes of blowdown valves, and all the other detail casting molds in 1'' and 2.5'' scales including the headlights. All being sold under the name Live Steam Warehouse. Several of the items are not yet listed on the website and will be available after I get moved. Several new items are under development that the hobby needs now that SuperScale's products are not available.
Patrick
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Good to know you saved some stuff from
oblivion Patrick.
Steven E. Kuhn

Post by Steven E. Kuhn »

Exactly as Howard, Anthony and cbrew responded is how I assumed it was going, will go and isn't going. I'm sure if Superscale rises again it will hit the forum like a hammer and we will know. But it's time to see the subject need not be beat into the ground. It's a damn shame all that knowledge is lost and has to be reworked but I think the void will be filled again. We just need to be patient. But I do appreciate everyones interesting responses......even the last bump.

Steve Kuhn
JenCarey

Post by JenCarey »

Hello all. I wanted to give you an update on Superscale. I need to first start off by apologizing. I have not been dealing well with the death of my father and have not responded to many calls. It had all gotten so overwhelming and for that I apologize. Last February we had excepted an offer on the business and building. The buyer was going to purchase both. We had an original close date of June 1st and that kept getting delayed. Basically we were lied to and misled for a year. This person was such a con man that he even had the estate lawyer fooled for awhile. In January we knew we had to move on and put the building on the market. We have also recently received an offer on the business which my brother, the estate lawyer and myself are reviewing. I want more then anything to make my dad proud and see his legacy live on. So please be patient as we navigate a situation that we've never had to deal with before and one my dad had hoped we wouldn't have to deal with. I'd give anything to have him here telling me what he would do, but I don't and I'm doing the best that I can. When I have more information I will let you all know.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Jen:
Thank you for letting us know what has happened.
I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you have encountered. That's the LAST trauma you needed.
Hopefully things will improve soon for you.
~RN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

JenCarey wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 pmHello all. I wanted to give you an update on Superscale...Basically we were lied to and misled for a year.
Very sorry to hear you were led around the mulberry bush by the con artist, and also sorry about the aftermath of your father's death—there is no good way to deal with such a loss. Perhaps things will work out and Superscale will live on.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
JenCarey

Post by JenCarey »

JenCarey wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:32 pm Hello all. I wanted to give you an update on Superscale. I need to first start off by apologizing. I have not been dealing well with the death of my father and have not responded to many calls. It had all gotten so overwhelming and for that I apologize. Last February we had excepted an offer on the business and building. The buyer was going to purchase both. We had an original close date of June 1st and that kept getting delayed. Basically we were lied to and misled for a year. This person even had the estate lawyer fooled for awhile. In January we knew we had to move on and put the building on the market. We have also recently received an offer on the business which my brother, the estate lawyer and myself are reviewing. I want more then anything to make my dad proud and see his legacy live on. So please be patient as we navigate a situation that we've never had to deal with before and one my dad had hoped we wouldn't have to deal with. I'd give anything to have him here telling me what he would do, but I don't and I'm doing the best that I can. When I have more information I will let you all know.
Dave Bortz

Post by Dave Bortz »

Hi Folks;
With a lot of help from some awesome friends, the a majority of the parts of the Superscale business have been transferred to BLW LLC in Pennsylvania.

I hope to keep Barry's legacy alive and reproduce his beautiful work.

As a re-introductory sale... I am offering an Okadee Blowdown set for a special price. See that on the for sale page.

More announcements will be made in the future for Superscale items as they return to availability.

Thanks to all that helped make this possible.
Dave