Steam pressure gauges is there any interest in them?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

What gauges would you be interested in buying?

1.5" gauge fully machined kit $120
32%
Brass insert plus dial and gauge-no machining any size $40
18%
300psi gauge
18%
would like to buy a 160 psi face and dial
16%
no interest
2%
2" overall dial is too large but would be interested in a smaller gauge
14%

Total votes: 50

apm

Steam pressure gauges is there any interest in them?

Post by apm »

First off I hope I am not breaking board rules by posting about the development of a small little product for sale here as opposed to in the for sale section. I am not really looking to make much on these so much as I started making one because I wanted one and now figure it is so neat others may want it too. If that is a problem please move this thread.

A few weeks back I set off to make a pressure gauge for the locomotive I am building in 3-3/4 scale. I started by just building a nice bezel and case out of brass but it still didn't have the right look. So after playing around a little while I came up with some artwork and had it made up for a few different sizes of pressure gauges in brass that would drop into a commercially available pressure gauge. Of course along the way I learned that the gauge I started with (an Ashcroft) for a variety of reasons was not the ideal one to use. If you look at my photo of the first prototype you will see where I had to cut off the pin for the Ashcroft (over by the 160psi mark) as it interfered with the operation of the dial, this doesn't look that good and hence this is just the prototype.

Since it didn't cost much more once I was paying the setup fees for the etching I had them do a variety of gages. Right now I have faces for a 1.5" gauge, 2" and 2.5" gauge, that are all ready to go. Initially I was figuring I would just sell a few of the faces and needles to people to offset the cost of the etching, but after seeing some interest in them I am thinking of having a few cases and bezels CNC turned and sell a completed pressure gauge.

I was wondering is there any interest in these as a finished gauge? Especially if I were to invest in having a bunch of dials turned out or would people just prefer to buy the etched parts, a gauge and do the finishing themselves? If I was going to make a complete gauge I think for the time being it would be a run of the 1.5" ones, which would have a final diameter just shy of 2" with the bezels with 1/8" NPT.

Would people be interested in buying one for say about $120? I realize it is a little large for 1.5" scale which I would think would be the most popular. Otherwise is there any interest in just buying the dial + needle + gauge which I would be asking $40 for? That would require fitting the needle and making a case for it.
photo of gages.PNG
Last edited by apm on Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SteveM

Re: Steam pressure gauges is there any interest in them?

Post by SteveM »

Very cool!

It's a shame to go thru all the effort to make a model so realistic and have a cheesy gauge in it.

Steve
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Potentially interested. Not sure on size yet. These are very cool. I would possibly be interested in two 1" dia gauges that read 0-100 PSI to replace my current industrial gauges for my air resovoir and application pressure above my brake valve. Although I would not want them to say "locomotive" on them obviously. If they were blank like some of your others or said "AIR" that would work.

Ed Wishart found some small gauges that had the faces held in by screws instead of the two permanent rivets but they have now been discontinued, so it's hard to find ones to modify. Glad you found something that you are able to modify.

I may have another friend interested in a larger gauge or two for his 3 3/4" scale locomotives. I'll ask and show him the picture. For my own big scale loco I have a rare small full size 4" steam gauge that was from a traction engine or stationary engine.

Selling the dial and needle and gauge would be great as well for those of us who can turn our own brass housings, although yours look very nice. What do you use for a needle puller?

Thank you,

-M
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
apm

Post by apm »

Hi Harlock,

The puller was the easiest part of the whole project. Mine is rather crude, here it is;
Puller.JPG
Puller.JPG (17.63 KiB) Viewed 11847 times
I was thinking it would be easy enough for me to order up a handful of different sized pressure gauges and then for $40 I could ship out the gauge with needle already removed. The gauge I found which is made by Winters is great in that the dial comes off easily (See the attached file) and then it is just a matter of pulling off the needle. As you pointed out I made some saying locomotive and the rest I left blank as like you I want to have one for air too, so I do have both options.

The cases/bezels are the harder part as to really make it make sense I would have to send out a lot of them to be CNC cut and then it comes down to a question of what size would be most popular, as I would need to order in quantity. I have always preferred to make as much as possible on my locomotive but I keep hearing from others that there are clubs where live steamers who actually own a lathe are few and far between.

By the way if you know of a good enough 1" gauge I would be more than happy to figure out how to get the artwork to fit that one. I just found with most makers 1.5" face which will finish out to 2" was the smallest size really available.
Attachments
Gauge.JPG
Gauge.JPG (17.6 KiB) Viewed 11847 times
Fender

Post by Fender »

I would be interested, but 160 psi is a little too low. Would suggest 0-200 as a better range.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I have an NOS 2 1/2" dia. Ashcroft 200# gauge and would like the etched face for it.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
John.can

Post by John.can »

I agree with fender on the range being extended. I think those gauges are absolutely amazing and I'd love to have two of you end up deciding to make them in quantities, one for the crab I'm building and one for my future ten wheeler. I've been trying to find ornate gauges scaled down from the full size ones and surprise you did it. Thank you
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I would love a 1.5" 200# or 300# gauge. It would be perfect on my shay
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Like this one, Tristan?
LimaGauge.jpg
John Brock
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Most prototype locomotives used gauges with a range up to 300lb.
I would be interested in a gauge with a 0 to 300psi range for 2.5" scale.
A dial diameter of about 2" would be about right.

Jeff Smith
Fender

Post by Fender »

I should have given kudos for the gauge, as it provides a detail that is missing in our hobby. I have a friend who collects and refurbishes full-size locomotive gauges, and seeing his collection has given me a greater appreciation for this detail.
The problem with the range is that many live steamers (at least in the U.S.) run about 120-125 psi in their boilers. When doing a hydrostat of 150% of working pressure, the gauge needs to register at least 180-190 psi. Typically, full-size locomotives had a gauge that maxed at 200% of working pressure. On our engines, something between 0-200 or 0-240 would be ideal.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

jcbrock wrote:Like this one, Tristan?
LimaGauge.jpg
Yes! Exactly that
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works