Steam pressure gauges is there any interest in them?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

What gauges would you be interested in buying?

1.5" gauge fully machined kit $120
32%
Brass insert plus dial and gauge-no machining any size $40
18%
300psi gauge
18%
would like to buy a 160 psi face and dial
16%
no interest
2%
2" overall dial is too large but would be interested in a smaller gauge
14%

Total votes: 50

apm

Re: Steam pressure gauges is there any interest in them?

Post by apm »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:48 pm One question - how do you verify the gauges will accurately register what they indicate on the gauge?

I’d be interested in maybe a couple of gauges, if they register at least up to 250 PSI.

Thanks
Glenn
Glenn, the gauges themselves are a commercially available 300psig pressure gauge which I then overlay the artwork on top of on the computer. Everything is a pretty close match but I can't say for sure that I have ever done a true calibration to determine % of reading level of accuracy on these. I would think it should be more than fine however for hobby use.

If interested link to the ad is right here. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=108746 so far I have had a bunch of people say they will take one and email to confirm that I still have them but no one has yet to send payment. So if interested go ahead and send paypal if they all sell out I can always refund the payment and hopefully get you some on the next run.

Adam
Fender

Post by Fender »

Is paypal the only form of payment, or will you take a check?
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
apm

Post by apm »

After producing the first round of these gauges and selling out in a whole weekend the second round hasn't been as encouraging and I still have a bunch more of them for sale. If interested either see the classifieds or here's the website that I set up to sell them on https://www.modelgauge.com/.

Now I guess the question here is did we overshoot on the pressure range going with 300psig as some of the recommendations here seemed to indicate people wanted or is the issue that not enough people care about having a beautiful gauge in the cab of their locomotive?

I have been considering doing a run of them at 200psig but that isn't too much higher than the initial gauge at 160psig which most people thought was too low.

So I am wondering what is the issue here, are we a little too high in pressure range or is the demand just this low?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Advertise them on the NW Steam Society web board:
https://www.northweststeamsociety.org
and any other steam organizations you can think of.
For example, place an add in the Train Mountain Gazette.
Or Discover Live Steam:
https://discoverlivesteam.com

You are making gorgeous gauges. 'Probably just need more marketing exposure.

Some US states limit hobby boiler operating pressures to 100 psi, so 200 psi gauges are perfect. (50% of max scale)
Washington State allows as high as 150 psi, so your 300 psi gauges are spot on.
The higher scales allow 150% hydrostatic pressure tests without over pressuring the correct scale gauge.
RussN
amadlinger

Post by amadlinger »

Hi Adam,

First and foremost, kudos for an amazing job well done with the gauges.

Regarding range: here in the Northeast, 200psig gauges are the de facto standard across all of the locomotives I've seen/operated. As far as I am aware, gauges are most accurate in the middle third of their range, so 66 to 133 psig for a 200 range....perfect for 125psig engines (also the de facto standard relief pressure here).

What you've done is really wonderful and I would definitely take one, if it were 200psig.

Sincerely,
Adam
R Paul Carey

Post by R Paul Carey »

Adam, I would be pleased to purchase a 200# gauge from you, as such time as one would become available.

This is a firm offer. Kindly advise via PM, when you are ready.

With best wishes,

Paul Carey.
apm

Post by apm »

Just updated the website to add 200, and 160psig gagues. The 200psig ones all say locomotive, the 160psig ones don't and would be perfect for auxiliaries such as compressed air. Here's some photos;
160psig gauge.JPG
200psig gauge.JPG
If there is any interest probaby next run will be to do some 2.5" sizes for the larger locomotives.

The gauges can be found on
https://www.modelgauge.com

By the way anyone who I have sold these to have any good photos of them in use yet?
apm

Post by apm »

I sent out quite a few of these gauges does any one have any photos of them mounted and in service yet?
Crosshead4

Post by Crosshead4 »

I received the gauge and it’s gorgeous! Thank you very much. I will have an engine to install it on later this year. I’ll be sure to post some pics.