Plans for 15" gauge passenger cars

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Springhill-RR

Plans for 15" gauge passenger cars

Post by Springhill-RR »

I am in need of plans for 15" gauge passenger cars.
ChipsAhoy

Re: Plans for 15" gauge passenger cars

Post by ChipsAhoy »

We are in need also.
Sahauro Central Shortline Railroad. 15" in North Phoenix.
Scotty
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Are you looking for 15" passenger cars that look like scaled-up real, prototypical passenger equipment? Or are you looking for "riding cars" that you might have at an amusement park that are solely designed to carry people which run on 15" gauge track?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Benjamin, either way. On Sahuaro Central, our thematic approach is historically accurate 1/3 scale equipment (3,4, or 5” scale). So freight, mining, industrial, passenger rolling stock and motive power, all welcomed. A second requirement for us, is museum preservation. The RR is an operational interpretative exhibit. So we want to collect and archive the engineering plans on line and locally in our “Engineering dept” as part of our non profit community outreach program. Eventually build up a publicly available, on line technical resource other hobbyists can use to build in the Grand Scales.

Have anY leads ? :lol:

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I don't have any to offer, sorry. But, if it were pure "riding cars" I would imagine that others here could comment on ones they have built. I don't recall seeing scaled up "model" passenger cars.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Is this something like what you are looking for? This is the Sandley pattern passenger coach.
117308503_1532446626959767_3816697484064509183_n.jpg
This is the Excursion Car style coach that we built for the Milwaukee Zoo.
3-30-2012_001.JPG
Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

You have plans available for those?
The excursion car looks very interesting to me.
We have a volunteer arcihitect working on pullman similar to the Sandley as time allows. He sent me some .stl files that I 3d printed to begin on the concept.
20220824_164120.jpg
Scotty
Erskine Tramway

ChipsAhoy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:51 pm You have plans available for those?
The excursion car looks very interesting to me.
We have a volunteer arcihitect working on pullman similar to the Sandley as time allows. He sent me some .stl files that I 3d printed to begin on the concept.

20220824_164120.jpg

Scotty
Hi Scotty...

I don't have what you'd call plans for either. I have an outline drawing of the coach, but nothing on the Excursion Car. I did drawings at Sandley's for the excursion car, and frame drawings of the coaches, but I didn't bring prints home when I left. There were none of the coaches built after 1964, until about 1980, when some more were built for the Knoxville railroad. At that time, the body work was farmed out to another shop. I suspect that shop just came down and measured one of our old coaches, because there were no body drawings for those cars. Both cars are 20-feet long and 36-inches wide. The coach bodies are built of wainscoting, with a fiberglass layup for the ends of the clerestory roof. The seats in the excursion cars are the same as the seats we put in the 24-inch gauge excursion cars we built for Brookfield Zoo in Chicago. We had armrest castings and oak seat slats left over from that project.

Sorry I can't do any better.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
malletmogul

Post by malletmogul »

Sean at the Hillcrest Shops somewhat specializes in building 5" scale rolling stock... Very high quality work with a price to match. Teak construction so you don't have to worry too much about longevity.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Erskine Tramway wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:40 am Is this something like what you are looking for? This is the Sandley passenger car….
Mike
Mike,

How tall is this car? What size window openings?

Also roughly what scale? Looks almost 6” scale in length.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Erskine Tramway

Glenn Brooks wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:23 pm
Erskine Tramway wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:40 am Is this something like what you are looking for? This is the Sandley passenger car….
Mike
Mike,

How tall is this car? What size window openings?

Also roughly what scale? Looks almost 6” scale in length.

Thanks
Glenn
Hi Glenn...

The cars are 64" tall. The windows are 16-3/4" wide by 18-3/4" tall. The door openings are 23" wide by 40" tall, on one side of the coach. The frame is 20-feet long and the body is 18-feet long. The end sill castings add about 2" on each end to the overall length. I suspect they are 20-feet long, account Sir Arthur Heywood's coaches are 19'-6" long, but twenty-feet is a standard length of the 2" steel "T" that the frames are made of. The width is 36".
Coach drawing.jpg
They aren't built to any particular scale, just tall enough to sit inside, and wide enough for two (average size) people per seat. You can see that they are tall and skinny, not the, about square, cross-section of a standard gauge car.

BTW... Sir Arthur's closed cars were 19'-6" long, 42" wide and 6-feet tall.

Mike
Springhill-RR

Post by Springhill-RR »

Thank You!