Need 10.5" dia. steel wheel castings for 24" gauge

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
NP317

Need 10.5" dia. steel wheel castings for 24" gauge

Post by NP317 »

As stated in the title:
I am seeking steel wheel castings for 10.5" finished diameter, for a 24" gauge railroad.

I was contacted by Wildlife Safari in Winton, Oregon, USA.
They purchased a new replacement train made by Western Train in Temecula, California.
It has not been an easy change for them, due to problems with the new train. I am not at liberty to describe more.

But the bottom line is that Wildlife Safari needs castings to make replacement wheel/axle sets, improving on the manufacturer's provided (and scarce) product.
Anyone have a potential source for such castings?
The maintenance Team at Wildlife Safari knows how to make the new wheel/axle sets, but needs the wheel castings.

Please post here for all to see and I will keep Wildlife Safari informed.
Thank you,
RussN
Adirondack

Re: Need 10.5" dia. steel wheel castings for 24" gauge

Post by Adirondack »

NP317 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:43 pm As stated in the title:
I am seeking steel wheel castings for 10.5" finished diameter, for a 24" gauge railroad.

I was contacted by Wildlife Safari in Winton, Oregon, USA.
They purchased a new replacement train made by Western Train in Temecula, California.
It has not been an easy change for them, due to problems with the new train. I am not at liberty to describe more.

But the bottom line is that Wildlife Safari needs castings to make replacement wheel/axle sets, improving on the manufacturer's provided (and scarce) product.
Anyone have a potential source for such castings?
The maintenance Team at Wildlife Safari knows how to make the new wheel/axle sets, but needs the wheel castings.

Please post here for all to see and I will keep Wildlife Safari informed.
Thank you,
RussN
Russ, I can design a wheel in CAD to your specs and 3D print a pattern for you in no time for a very reasonable fee. I also have a steel foundry I can recommend. Let's talk!

Chris
Attachments
CAD to castings overview.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5621.jpg
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Chris:
Thanks for your info.
I'm sure Glenn Brooks will see your post. He is also seeking similar wheels and a foundry for his own purposes.
A combined purchase begins to make sense for all involved.
To be continued.
RussN
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

A CNC machined 4140 HT steel wheel will probably cost the same ( maybe less) than a casting , but will be stronger and more wear resisant than a casting. I currently am running wheels in 8.5" , 11" and 16" dia.

Nyle
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nyle:
Same cost, except no machining costs if delivered CNC machined.
And the steel will definitely wear better with use.

The various parties involved in these RR endeavors are presently beginning to communicate, toward mutual solutions.
Excellent.
RussN