Visiting the WF&P in St. Louis

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
rkcarguy

Re: Visiting the WF&P in St. Louis

Post by rkcarguy »

Andrew Pugh wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:46 am That style of retaining the bearings can’t be good for bearing life, but it may not reduce it enough to matter. Neat to see some of the big stuff!

-AP
It appears to me that they press ball bearings onto the axle ends then the truck simply drops onto them and the lower bar retains them?
Andrew Pugh

Post by Andrew Pugh »

Yeah that’s what it looks like to me. Usually the outer race of a ball bearing is supported by a bore all the way round its circumference. This install puts a point load on the outer race. But like I said, it may not change the bearing life enough to matter, and they look pretty easy to replace.

-AP
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

rkcarguy wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:37 pm It appears to me that they press ball bearings onto the axle ends then the truck simply drops onto them and the lower bar retains them?
That's the way the big ones work, though they are double race roller bearings. When you go in the ditch, the little ears at the bottom of the truck frames generally break off, and the wheels fall out. Sometimes, you'll even see trucks under a car without the little ear, just sitting on the bearings.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
318J

Post by 318J »

I realize this thread is a little old, but thank you for visiting and your interest in the WF&P David!

Since your visit last year, myself and several other volunteers have progressed nicely with 4-4-2 #300's rebuild. Here's a couple photos showing about where we stand. Most recently we completed a test run of the chassis with the brand-new trailing truck. Since 300 went out of service in 2002, the original trailing truck was taken and put under 4-8-2 #928 to expedite its completion in 2006. As #928 is one of our main workhorses, we did not want to put it OOS to reclaim the truck. Subsequently a new one had to be designed and built for #300.

We're pushing along getting the valve gear and running gear completed. I'm hopeful to have it running on air by February. Assuming the boiler comes back from repairs by then, I'm confident we may well see it run next year.

Since this photo was taken in October, we have gotten well underway with the rebuild of the valve gear.
Since this photo was taken in October, we have gotten well underway with the rebuild of the valve gear.
20231021_180645(1).jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 2231 times
Boiler undergoing pressure tests. The firebox is the original 1957 boiler, everything forward is being renewed. Because of the size and nature of the WF&P's operations, all boiler construction and repairs are done by certified shops to ASME and NBIC code.
Boiler undergoing pressure tests. The firebox is the original 1957 boiler, everything forward is being renewed. Because of the size and nature of the WF&P's operations, all boiler construction and repairs are done by certified shops to ASME and NBIC code.
20231013_133055.jpg (995.39 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
300 was quite a dashing loco when V.A. Schmidt finished it in 1958. Fully loaded out with air brakes, dynamo, bell ringer, sanders, and more, we're going to ensure it comes back with all of the same in place and operational.
300 was quite a dashing loco when V.A. Schmidt finished it in 1958. Fully loaded out with air brakes, dynamo, bell ringer, sanders, and more, we're going to ensure it comes back with all of the same in place and operational.
300original.jpg (131.64 KiB) Viewed 2231 times
-Sam
Boilermaker, Pipefitter, former Railroader
"Preserving the Past and Ensuring Our Future"
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

man, that's a good looking locomotive right there! Glad she's going to be back in service soon.
Charles T. McCullough

Post by Charles T. McCullough »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:30 am man, that's a good looking locomotive right there! Glad she's going to be back in service soon.
DITTO