Cagney for Sale

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
mspetersen

Cagney for Sale

Post by mspetersen »

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1904- ... eam-train/

Popped up on another website I follow. I have no involvement with the seller.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
Glenn Brooks

Re: Cagney for Sale

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Mark, thanks for posting. This appears to be a very nicely restored Cagney.

To those who may be interested in the loco, a small word of caution. The boiler is advertised as having been repaired and inspected by a certified shop. This may be true, but the boiler itself is not certified for commercial operation. The small attached “certification” tag on the backhead is meaningless - someone’s attempt to make it appear to be something it Is not.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Wow, one day left on the auction and latest bid is $22k for the lot. Someone is poised for a killer deal. The last hour tomorrow might be quite interesting…

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 11:37 am The last hour tomorrow might be quite interesting…
There was a Gulfstream auctioned off last year. It sat at the opening bid for weeks. Day of the auction, things went wild right up to the end.

Steve
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Didn’t meet reserve at $37,000. “RKRailroad” was apparent high bidder.

Funny, that is only a few grand more than my agreement with the widow Stutz in Feb. 2020 to purchase, with more track and switches than offered. I had to pass based on COVID hitting in March, and the inability to find reasonable priced laborers to help remove. And an inspection of boiler repair paperwork, which didn’t seem to be offered up by the present seller.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Steve,

To bad the Cagney didn’t work out for you back then. I also spoke with Mrs. Strutz around that time. She never really found any paper work on the boiler. And I learned latter there is no actual certification- just somebodys attempt to make it look official. It will be interesting to see where the train set pops up next…

Glenn

SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

Glenn

I have the following papers from Mrs Stutz: two papers from Colorado Metallurgical Service analyzing a coupon for steel content, and a summary ultrasonic thickness test report from Intermountain Testing Company indicating that the sheets above the mud ring measured .150 to .179 thick. Paperwork is circa 1995, I do not know if Mr. Stutz had the sheets replaced or not because I was never able to inspect the locomotive in person due to the Covid being in full lockdown at the time we were negotiating.

Steve
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Steve,

It would be interesting to know more about how the Cagney boilers were originally built. Small boilers at turn of the century often were fired at 90 psi and built with . 250” plate- pretty light weight by todays standards. My 1904 12” gauge 4-4-0 is 1/4” boiler plate and rated AT 90 PSI for example. Metallurgy for higher pressure boilers wasn’t developed until latter.

Iam wondering what Cagney boilers are fired at and how thick would be typical boiler plate used in the original boilers? Seems like Al Strutz did have some significant boiler work done, as you mentioned. Wondering why he didn’t pursue certifying the boiler, as it sure looks like he did acquire the metallurgical report necessary to certify the material.

Glenn

STRR

Post by STRR »

These guys are still in business. Maybe they could help you out with information.

Colorado Boiler
Ed Kalmbach President
P.O. Box 7569
Broomfield, CO 80021
coloradoboiler@aol.com
303-825-0622
1-877-853-1309

Look them up on the internet. They are about a half hour away from where I live.

Good Luck,
Terry