Arborway TT & Northwestern Railroad Disposition

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Loco112

Re: Arborway TT & Northwestern Railroad Disposition

Post by Loco112 »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:57 pm
This scenario played out recently with some 1 1/2" scale stuff I knew about. Original builder/owner died, and his widow was wanting a mint for his equipment. She was asking about 2X what comparable stuff was going for at the time for his stuff. She would not drop the price any, and thus it all set in the garage for another 20+ years until the widow died. It was finally sold for less than half of what she was asking for to begin with.

Wasn't there a 15" or 16" gauge 2-8-8-4 or some articulated locomotive that was up for sale a few years ago? I don't think it ever sold.
Many..
Seymour's 3" NYC Hudson, The Macallister(?) 2-8-8-4 Yellowstone: that thing sat from the time I was teen (Im 57 now) until its now up at Little America, who knows what it sold for. Its a limited market, its not really even a market.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

"Little America" ??
What/where?

Thanks.
RussN
tomc

Post by tomc »

Marshall Wisconsin

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Little Amerricka is the birthplace of the ATT&NW #801 and #17, more specifically, home to Merrick Light Railway Equipment Works that built the 801. They have a 16" gauge railroad along with four operating steam engines and two operating diesels (and one dummy).

They are currently building the massive 15" gauge 4-12-2 that was originally going to be temporarily living at the ATT&NW (and operate there). Unfortunately the 4-12-2 will have to find a home elsewhere as there aren't any railroads large enough to accommodate that engine.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That McCallister 2-8-8-4 was the one I was thinking about. Glad to hear it finally found a home. I had seen it advertised for sale for a long time.
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:35 am That McCallister 2-8-8-4 was the one I was thinking about. Glad to hear it finally found a home. I had seen it advertised for sale for a long time.
I wouldn't say McCallister's engine has a 'home' as much as a storage place. It wouldn't run there, account of the gauge difference. Darrell also has the Sandley Hudson on the property. It was converted to 16" gauge sometime in the past. I don't know if the rebuild is going to be 15" or 16" gauge.

The R&GN Society has made a deal to get the two engines back that were at Quincy. They were down in Texas (I think) in private ownership. I understand the 'diesel' is serviceable, but I expect the Atlantic will probably need the same kind of major rebuild that the 128 is getting.

Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
NP317

Post by NP317 »

tomc wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:44 pm Marshall Wisconsin

Tom C.
Thank you Tom and Mike.
RussN
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

It's my understanding that the 2-8-8-4 is no longer at WRRY as I only know of one articulated that was kept there.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

It's been about a month. Any word on if there has been any serious interest in the 801?

Sure hope someone buys it and takes care of it. Would be such a waste otherwise.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

It will go somewhere, I'm sure.... When the family accepts the highest offer. What that is, remains to be seen.
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

The Ralph MacAllister 2-8-8-4 made its way to NE Ohio a few years ago, got a nice cosmetic restoration, then was sold to an amusement park in France maybe 2 years ago.

Rob Gardner
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

got a nice cosmetic restoration, then was sold to an amusement park in France
Sad to hear that it will be nothing more than a static display going forward. Man, it just seems a shame for someone to spend all that time making an operational locomotive for it to never be operated. Some of our stuff will probably end up that way too, I guess.