Arborway TT & Northwestern Railroad Disposition

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Dick_Morris

Arborway TT & Northwestern Railroad Disposition

Post by Dick_Morris »

A post on the Railway Preservation News site concerning this 15" railroad's disposition. Rather than paste the rather lengthy post, I'll just post a link. http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21878
mspetersen

Re: Arborway TT & Northwestern Railroad Disposition

Post by mspetersen »

Pictures of the dismantling of the Signal System. https://www.flickr.com/photos/23430972@N04

Very depressing way to end such a fantastic little railroad.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

801 is for sale on Discover Live Steam.

https://discoverlivesteam.com/discoverf ... /index.htm

Not a bad price for a working museum piece that will serve very well.
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

I’m only about $309,999 short. Not to mention a place to run it.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

mspetersen wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:35 pm I’m only about $309,999 short. Not to mention a place to run it.

I could possibly manage a down payment on one of the rods...
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

BDD, we could go in together to buy the rod, plus a picture of all the other parts…
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:37 pmBDD, we could go in together to buy the rod, plus a picture of all the other parts…

:D :D :D
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

it will never sell.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Loco112 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:47 amit will never sell.

Never say “Never!” Maybe we can convince Elon Musk to buy it and give it to one of us. He probably spills 300K on the floor each day at work. :D After all, this is the guy that bought a good-sized chunk of Twitter.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I hope it does sell to someone or some group who will use it and preserve it. Hate to see such a beautiful locomotive languish in some shed for the next 15 or 20 years.

In the end, I think it is better to sell it for whatever you can manage to get for it than to have it sit in a shed or barn for 20 years and then try to sell it for 1/6th the original price to someone who will have to restore it. I guess we will see how badly they want to move it, or how badly someone wants it. Problem with a locomotive that size is that the infrastructure needed to support, maintain, and operate that locomotive would be huge and costly. Much more so than the cost of the locomotive itself. I might could someday afford a $250,000 car (not really), but I surely couldn't if I also had to build the road to drive it on!

This scenario played out recently with some 1 1/2" scale stuff I knew about. Original builder/owner died, and his widow was wanting a mint for his equipment. She was asking about 2X what comparable stuff was going for at the time for his stuff. She would not drop the price any, and thus it all set in the garage for another 20+ years until the widow died. It was finally sold for less than half of what she was asking for to begin with.

Wasn't there a 15" or 16" gauge 2-8-8-4 or some articulated locomotive that was up for sale a few years ago? I don't think it ever sold.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

The wood fired one? Yes, sold, I can't remember where it went. Might have gone across the water.
apm

Post by apm »

Mike Walsh wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:27 pm The wood fired one? Yes, sold, I can't remember where it went. Might have gone across the water.
Wouldn't that be cool to see on the Romney Dymchurch railway! I bet that would be a big draw over there for special runs