Why are these springs necessary

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Geochurchi

Why are these springs necessary

Post by Geochurchi »

Hi All, I have redesigned an switch mechanism that seems to work well, still may need a bit of refinement but the question would be why are the springs necessary in the before pics, my arrangement makes a positive closure of the switch points in both directions,
Thoughts
F82D71ED-36C8-425A-BEA9-4F5674FCC449.jpeg
88549A57-E132-497B-9CBA-961885868569.jpeg
399816DA-733D-4035-B1DC-B28389DE4108.jpeg
Attachments
B59A76E8-AF62-4D1F-924A-C74B876430C0.jpeg
If it ain’t broken keep working on it until it is .
Geo 🇺🇸
Bob D.

Re: Why are these springs necessary

Post by Bob D. »

You had a spring switch that enabled one to drive thru the turnout from the divergent without throwing the switch. You have also made it really hard to tell which way the switch has been thrown as you approach with the horizontal throw handle.
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Yes, springs are used so that you can trail through the switch without derailing, no matter which way the points are set. This is really useful in some yard areas, passing sidings on bi-directional mainlines, and turnaround loops where you have a point-to-point layout. Some places I have known have used positive throw points like what you have. They work, but in this hobby most people expect to be able to trail through a switch without throwing it, so there will be some derailments by visitors and newcomers until they get used to having to get off and throw the switch every time.
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

I am new to this, what does it mean to be “trailing through a switch?
Geo 🇺🇸
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

I found my answer on Trailing through a switch.
Geo 🇺🇸
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

When you build a switch with the springs in it to move the points, I.E. a Sprung switch, you need to be careful about how stiff you make your springs. if they are too stiff, then lighter cars will end up derailing instead of moving the points over and running through the switch. If they are too light, then the switch will tend to not move all the way over into the proper position when you throw it, especially if it has a lack of lubrication or a little bit of dirt or tree sap or whatever in it that might make it want to stick.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Welcome to the world of model railroading
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Geochurchi wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:28 pm I found my answer on Trailing through a switch.
No need to belabor the discussion regarding "trailing thru" a turnout. Yes...you need this. However, George, in addition to having a switch throw mechanism that is visible and indicates the direction of travel when facing the turnout..would urge you to consider the use of non-ferrous switch throw components that will not rust or provide problematic operation.

At my home track, the switch throw mechanisms are for the most part made with aluminum and stainless steel components. Yes, a little more expensive, but the club gets that investment back in very reliable switch operation. The value of smooth operating turnouts is...PRICELESS!

Years ago when I was track co-chair and chair, members were threatened with bodily harm if they were EVER... caught them with an oil can "oiling around" a turnout. The oil attracts grime, ballast dust and basically gums up the operation. Negatively impacting the operation of the turnout no matter which direction train traffic is moving. Mother Nature was left to clean the movable parts of the switch and switch throw when it rained.

Keep on switching! Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

Hi, this was an experiment to make the switches operate with less parts, ie springs, this turn out directs cars into a storage shed that is seldom used, we are well aware of the corrosion situation.
Geo 🇺🇸
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

less parts all seems like a good idea until someone runs through the closed switch and derails and entire train full of cars and or damages the switch because something is now bent

the, all of a sudden -> that $4 spring seems like a good idea.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Wondering if Anybody here has tried to use return springs with 12 pound rail, with switches made from 12 pound rail , say 12” or 15” inch gauge?

Would this design work at these larger gauges?

Thanks,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:14 am less parts all seems like a good idea until someone runs through the closed switch and derails and entire train full of cars and or damages the switch because something is now bent

the, all of a sudden -> that $4 spring seems like a good idea.
It seems to me that the real reason for the springs is to prevent a derailment if a train is going into a turnout in the wrong direction , do real railroads have these devices?
Geo 🇺🇸