Liability insurance

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Liability insurance

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I’ve just come across an excellent source for live Steam liability insurance - for all gauges and scales.

This might be worth a sticky somewhere, as liability insurance for live steam, is often difficult to find and extremely hard to come by.

I have just confirmed that our new 15” ga Live steam club RR liability policy is automatically added to our existing 7.5” club policy, at no additional charge. Our liability policy is a general blanket policy that covers any and all live steam hobby RR activity, on-site regardless of additions. Hence a recent 1” scale RR start up, and our new 15” gauge RR are both covered under the existing policy that also covers Maricopa Live Steamers RRwy operations.

A second important feature of our policy is that the local insurance company, and agent, that handles our coverage is extremely knowledgeable about miniature train operation and liability aspects of live steam. This is critical for managing the pool of underwriters who actually extend the coverage.

Anybody interested in further information can contact:

Vivian Sundin
HMBD Insurance Services Group
Culver City, California
Office: 800.272.4594
Direct: 562.719.0820
Cell: 562.972.4930

PLEASE VISIT THE FOLLOWING POST FOR THE PROPER ADDRESS

I didn’t think to ask for Vivian’s email. But will update this thread if I obtain it.

Cheers,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
8thscale

Re: Liability insurance

Post by 8thscale »

Mailing Address:
HUB International
600 Corporate Pointe, Suite 600
Culver City, CA 90230

PLEASE NOTE MY NEW EMAIL ADDRESS: vivian.sundin@hubinternational.com
HMBD Insurance Services, a HUB International Company

Glen, they are definitely not in San Diego!
Our club has used them for many years! Vivian is my contact as well.
Dave
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Good to hear.

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Harlock

Post by Harlock »

I just purchased liability insurance from these guys for the estate railroads I build and equipment I sell. Was reasonable. They are a broker that sources insurance from many different places, but they specialize in railroading and scale railroading as a side item.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I have worked with this company in the past. Rates were... well... they were what they were. I also discovered that they had classified our live steam club as an "Railroad Museum". I was, but am now not, an insurance lawyer. However, I always felt that calling us a Railroad Museum instead of a private live steam club was a bit unusual.

That all being said, if you CAN get insurance... GET IT! Not many places offer it.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

FYI, We do have another, older thread on private insurance here on Chaski. In that tread I reported on half dozen speciality insurance brokers who insure amusements and parks. Almost all will quote liability insurance for commercial miniature train operations only, but not live steam clubs or private tracks. HMBD does insure a number of live steam clubs, and apparently some estate railways. Don’t know if they do small, private, backyard pikes. But if they do, might be worth getting a quote, as most home owners insurance companies won’t extend liability coverage to the large scale hobbyists.

USAA is the only home owner/personal insurance company I found that routinely covers hobby miniature train operations - on your own property. We have USAA, and I added an extra million in liability coverage a few years back to increase our 12” ga doverage, for a nominal fee. Well worth the extra coverage.

GPB