Any drawings for 2.5" scale Mallet Moguls out there?

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Bill Shields

Re: Any drawings for 2.5" scale Mallet Moguls out there?

Post by Bill Shields »

Until you have been though the world of building an already designed and simple(er) loco . You have no idea what you are getting into with a loco of this type and its design and implementation.

It is bad enough just building something that others have done before you.

Manufacturer's designs or not...some things just do not scale down..and until you have been there done that...you are way off the yellow brick road.

Once you start cutting metal you should be comitted to the final product...not trying to decide what it may be years down the road.

Until you actually build a steam loco ... very few people have any concept of the skill set and resources needed.

Have any idea of what this critter is going to weigh and how you will move it around from point A to point B.

Having the machinery and skills to use them is a big step forward..knowing how to put it all together is something you get from experience

As someone's tag line says

"An 0-4-0 on the track is worth a lot more than an unfinished 2-10-0 in the shop"
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

If you are doing a 1.5 scale 2-6-6-2, and using LE castings, I'd keep the LE 0-6-0 drivers paired with the 0-6-0 cylinders and valve gear, as that combination of parts is already designed to be compatible and work together, and it won't require redesigning the valve gear etc for different cylinder.

those cylinders will be plenty large for a 2-6-6-2. Even full size challengers had smaller cylinders than a 4-8-4 etc as you have more cylinders.
someone on here has a 2-10-0 built from LE 0-6-0 parts, he would tell you, it doesn't need larger cylinders.

Another person built a NW 2-6-6-4 from Roger's pacific parts, again, it doesn't need larger cylinders.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Then you have to deal with articulation clearance...so there is consideration to using smaller cylinders..not the least of which is that as a simple you are sweeping 2x the volume per revolution.
malletmogul

Post by malletmogul »

Feedback like yours is what I posted here for, thanks.

I do understand the amount of work involved. I have spent enough time around other miniature steam locomotives, including maintaining them. That is why I am doing an extended research phase. I am not a novice machinist. Just because I am doing this research now does not necessarily mean it is going to be the first project I start. I may very well do a Heisler or something first.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

A simple comment on making parts.
Those of us who have worked in the industry (like malletmogul) can make parts and do so efficiently and without supervision. What they go to makes no difference. For that reason, that part of the equation is very different from the average guy, who must face the challenge of learning to run the machines involved, then hope to get enough experience that making the required parts isn't an ongoing learning experience that must be repeated until acceptable results are achieved. I suspect that, for mm, that will be routine. He can concentrate his efforts on determining what is critical in achieving the end result, an operational locomotive. For that reason, I see little difference in the size of the engine he will pursue. He has the skill set to make good parts. He may have to make more of them, which he most likely will be able to do at greater speed than the novice who has no real machining experience. I, for one, would not discourage him from the project of his choosing. He can do it.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Not a question of making parts

Questioning the concept of a beginner with no experience kit bashing parts together into an articulated loco as first build.
malletmogul

Post by malletmogul »

Like I said, this is an extended research phase. I want to learn all I can before I start on the project, and when I do start on the project I am going to start with the parts that are most failure tolerant. Obviously I can't mess up the boiler since that's for the most part an all-or-nothing safety critical object and modifying them is a very expensive and specialized thing. Other parts, though, can be experimented with and reconfigured without sinking so much capital into it. Again, I am not a complete beginner at this, though I have not built a locomotive of my very own.

By all means, keep the feedback coming. It forces me to re-evaluate my situation with new perspectives. Thanks!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

The best feedback I have read here is to use existing cylinders, drivers, and valve gear, such as the Little engines Mogul. That also provides basic frame design.
That helps assure noticeable progress on the locomotive, while incorporating known success of the engine design.
You would also be building parts that many others have experience building, adding to the reservoir of knowledge available to you.

My first locomotive project (4 decades ago...) involved modifying an existing excellent design in 3/4" scale, 3.5" gauge. That project sits unfinished on a prominent shelf in my shop, taunting me. The changes precipitated redesign work that was more than I could handle at that time.
I forged ahead and successfully created two 7.5" gauge steamers from known designs and castings. I might yet go back and finish that "little" project.
So I suggest your best progress building an articulated steam locomotive would involve the least amount of design work possible. Solely my own experience.

Just a thought. I hope to see your locomotive on the tracks before I croak!
RussN
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Russ,
a 2-6-6-2 logging loco would be just right for you...!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:26 am Not a question of making parts

Questioning the concept of a beginner with no experience kit bashing parts together into an articulated loco as first build.
Heh!
I was a "beginner" with no experience in building tooling at one point in time, but that didn't stop me from building countless numbers of tools for Litton Guidance and Control (Salt Lake City) that were required for maintenance of the F-16 guidance system. That was possible because I had the required skill to operate machine tools without making scrap.

The unknown element, here, is the capability of the OP. He has acceptable credentials. He is, from all indications, capable of acceptable performance and is displaying what, to me, is good sense. I choose to see him in an acceptable light---that he most likely can, and will, achieve his goal.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Berkman wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:06 pm Russ,
a 2-6-6-2 logging loco would be just right for you...!
'Would be nice. But I'm spoiled from running the real ones.
RussN
kc6uvm

Post by kc6uvm »

Roger Goldmann has prints: Go to https://modelsteamengines.tripod.com/drawings/by_wh.htm

The Uintah Mallet is listed in 2.5" scale. I have a set of prints. It is just the side view and front view. It's a BIG engine.

You might want to look for Tom Artzberger with Hartford Shops out of Hartford, WI. Discover Live Steam has
some articles online at https://www.discoverlivesteam.com/magaz ... index.html

Tom is listed in Father Finneli's web page at the Steaming Priest dot com. Doesn't look like Tom has a web site online.

Good luck building your mallet. George.
George J. Becker
Lancaster, CA (formerly of Shandon, CA)
Model railroading is fun but the work expands proportionately to the track gauge.