Any drawings for 2.5" scale Mallet Moguls out there?

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
malletmogul

Any drawings for 2.5" scale Mallet Moguls out there?

Post by malletmogul »

Hello all, I have been lurking on and off for a while, first time posting.

I am investigating the feasibility of constructing my own 2-6-6-2 in the Baldwin style, and am interested in looking at drawings and tapping the knowledge of those who have come before me. I would like to compare the scaled drawings to the full size drawings to see what sort of liberties are taken, and adjustments for proper steaming at a smaller scale. If anyone can let me know of detailed drawings out there, I would appreciate it. A 2-6-6-2 is my preference but I would also be interested in seeing drawings for any articulateds in that scale, especially if they are compound and superheated.

Thanks in advance.
NP317

Re: Any drawings for 2.5" scale Mallet Moguls out there?

Post by NP317 »

Where are you located? (post by your name)
I have seen a narrow-gauge 2-6-6-2 Mallet (7.5" gauge) at Train mountain RR in years past. So they exist.
And I have experience engineering standard gauge 100+ton 2-6-6-2 Mallets (Baldwin loggers) and can provide some prototype information.
RussN
RussellCofIdaho

Post by RussellCofIdaho »

I volunteer at Sumpter Valley Railroad Restoration and the former Uintah 2-6-6-2s are favorites of mine. I have been trying to kit-bash them in On30 and Fn3. I’ve never had the courage to attempt them in 2.5” scale!

I have several sets of the Gazette articles with the drawings of these locos in them, if that is something you are interested in.
Russell Courtenay
Idaho - USA
unknownidaho.wordpress.com
Big trains and big dreams...
malletmogul

Post by malletmogul »

I'm in California and I'm interested in any scale they've been built in. Standard and narrow gauge.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

There was pictures of someone with one at train mountain in one of the live steam magazines. They'd be a good place to start if you can get in touch with them.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I think I've seen photos of the 2.5 scale one at Train mountain, then a photo of a 3.75 scale 2-4-4-2 from RMI ( or similar) castings.

I'd probably build it simple, it will be a very quiet sounding engine if you make it a compound.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Berkman wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:37 pm I think I've seen photos of the 2.5 scale one at Train mountain, then a photo of a 3.75 scale 2-4-4-2 from RMI ( or similar) castings.

I'd probably build it simple, it will be a very quiet sounding engine if you make it a compound.
And very wet to run...as a compound
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
malletmogul

Post by malletmogul »

All great feedback so far. Much appreciated.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

You can always try to locate one of the Bachmann G-scale Mallets to tease yourself with:
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/ ... 1902874018

RussN
malletmogul

Post by malletmogul »

Where would I go about getting the Baldwin drawings for the 2-6-6-2? I assume California State Railroad Museum has them kicking around?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

LGB made a Uintah 2-6-6-2 mallet for a while: https://www.trains.com/grw/news-reviews ... ocomotive/
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

There is one running around PVLS in what I believe is 1" scale on propane
Too many things going on to bother listing them.