7.5 gauge turn outs

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Geochurchi

7.5 gauge turn outs

Post by Geochurchi »

Hi All, I am not to familiar with turns outs but would like some pics has to how other folks control theirs.
Thanks
If it ain’t broken keep working on it until it is .
Geo 🇺🇸
Erskine Tramway

Re: 7.5 gauge turn outs

Post by Erskine Tramway »

Hi Geochurchi...

People use all kinds of levers, motors and such to control turnouts. I use half-scale Heywood Point Levers.
10-9-14 two installed north.jpg
Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Mike:
What holds those throw levers in position?
I'm not familiar with Heywood Point Levers.
RussN
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

4961F158-2CAC-4CE9-A691-633389CDC549.jpeg
4F51A6AC-BB19-4820-99B1-EC1B7B3A8235.png
Hi, this is the setup we currently have, I would like to remove them and replace with a latching toggle device similar to the pic with the red handle, track would be mounted to a bar to maintain gauge, this bar would be controlled by the toggle device, eliminating the springs etc.
Geo 🇺🇸
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

This is similar to the device I am thinking of.
https://catalog.monroeengineering.com/i ... 2531802993
Geo 🇺🇸
Erskine Tramway

Post by Erskine Tramway »

NP317 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:22 pm Mike:
What holds those throw levers in position?
I'm not familiar with Heywood Point Levers.
RussN
Hi Russ...

The counterweight holds them over. If your switch is smooth enough, and your equipment is heavy enough, they will trail through. Sir Arthur used them three ways. When there was a white stripe on the counterweight it was supposed to be left visible. Mine have stripes for the mainline, which is the way I normally leave them...though I have been known to leave the Car Shed switch lined for the Shed, when Sparky is in there. The counterweight could be 'pinned' on one side or the other of the lever so that the brakeman had to hold the handle over while the move was being made on the opposite route from where the lever was supposed to be left. I'd guess that was for a place where you definitely didn't want a movement into a track by accident. In a yard, for instance, they were 'plain' and could be left in any direction.

Here's a picture of one of the Eaton Railway levers.
point lever detail.JPG
And a close up of one of mine.
PICT0052.JPG
Here's my white stripe.
PICT0033.JPG
Mike
Former Locomotive Engineer and Designer, Sandley Light Railway Equipment Works, Inc. and Riverside & Great Northern Railway 1962-77
BN RR Locomotive Engineer 1977-2014, Retired
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Mike:
Thank you for the education.
What I was missing was the counter weight rotating to the other side to hold the handle in position.
Now I get it.

'Love to learn.
Russ