15” ga wheel standards

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

15” ga wheel standards

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Really need some assistance with this one.

We are starting to build 15” ga switches, for the Arizona railway project. We’ve got 3”, 4”, and 5” scale equipment that all wants/needs to run on the same track.

So anybody have experience with 1/4 scale or 1/3 rd scale wheel sets operating on Eric Thompson's 5” scale wheel standards?

Really like to hear your experiences.

Thanks
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
rkcarguy

Re: 15” ga wheel standards

Post by rkcarguy »

Glenn,

Just speaking out my hind end, but I would say to go with the 15" gage standards being that regardless of scale, everything is going to be running on your 15" gage track. If you start fudging the #'s too much, everyone's 15" stuff isn't going to be able to run anywhere else....if there is or will be anywhere else. I appears your turnout in your other thread has threaded rods and nuts on the guardrails, so they can be adjusted?
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ryan, yes, threaded track bolts for the guards rails. So we plan on testing and adjusting as necessary to get a proper wheel alignment. We decided to adopt the bill Daney- Eric Thompson 5” track standard, although I still have some reservations. We found via Facebook that many more 3” and 4” scale 15” ga locos are in hobbyist hands than 5” stuff. These will be 1/4 scale and 1/3rd scale respectively. We think these size locos are more suitable for travel and expect to see a couple of visitors when we offer our first steam up in a year or two...

Also, after we have a season running 1/3 and 1/4 scale we may adjust our standards to favor the smaller flange size. But for starters we will stay with the 1/2” x11/16 “ flange standard.

One other interesting note: it’s clear that 5” scale is restricted to a few commercial, passenger carrying railroads, such as Redwood Valley, whereas most 3” and 4” scale RRways are club or hobbyest oriented. Not universal but a pretty clear distinction between the scales.

We may also also make a standard 5” scale wheel pattern on smaller 8” wheels, simply to solve the flange problem... but, one thing at a time...first we need to know how much is really necessary...

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Glenn, have you reached out to the folks down in Reedley Cal.
https://www.hillcrestreedley.com/5-scal ... -standards
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Carew,

Yes, I emailed them but never received a reply.

Glenn

cbrew

Post by cbrew »

may need to call, there is a number under contact on the website.
if that is not fruitful, I will make contact on the back channels
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Cbrew, Thanks, I think we’ve nailed down the various factors through other sources. We received a number of replies from the FB 15” group that confirmed our flange and wheel geometry. So adjusted our max 5” scale standard accordingly.

Now working on track fastenings (spike screws and rail clips) for mainline and secondary siding track construction.

Btw were headed toward field testing 4x5x32” cement cross ties...

Glenn

Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:40 am Yes, I emailed them but never received a reply.
Glenn,
I just went looking for and found your FaceBook message to me about track specs and finally responded. :cry:

I'm very much behind on personal communications. Feel free to drop me a line at Curtis@HillcrestShops.com for this project.

Cheers,
Curtis
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Adirondack

Post by Adirondack »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:56 pm Cbrew, Thanks, I think we’ve nailed down the various factors through other sources. We received a number of replies from the FB 15” group that confirmed our flange and wheel geometry. So adjusted our max 5” scale standard accordingly.

Now working on track fastenings (spike screws and rail clips) for mainline and secondary siding track construction.

Btw were headed toward field testing 4x5x32” cement cross ties...

Glenn
Glenn, talk to me about those cement ties. I'm consulting in the early stages of a project that runs through a watershed area, so creosote ties are a no-go.

Thanks

Chris
Adirondack Car & Foundry
Check out our projects: https://www.facebook.com/ADKrail/
Visit our ALL-NEW online store: https://adirondackcarfoundry.square.site/

A little locomotive with 4 wheels on the track is a lot more fun
than a 1/2 finished one with 16 wheels on the bench!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Hi Chris, give me a call. 206.790.8711

Recovering form a heart attack earlier this week and it’s tough to do much computer work right now.

I’d like to know what your steel foundry can do on price. Time to move forward with some wheels.

Thanks
Glenn

Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:02 amRecovering form a heart attack earlier this week and it’s tough to do much computer work right now.

Yikes! I know what you’re dealing with. Get well, my friend. There are trains waiting...
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D