Stolen train set- Buffalo area

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
Glenn Brooks

Stolen train set- Buffalo area

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Please call the Buffalo PD if you have any info on this stolen train set.

Glenn
Attachments
DA368CA5-527D-4054-BEB9-ABA4FB7FE44B.png
F241C039-F08D-4838-B810-524BEDDC31F3.png
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Pontiacguy1

Re: Stolen train set- Buffalo area

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Going by other incidents where a trailer full of trains was stolen, I'd Look for the train set to be dumped out somewhere. The thieves most likely were after the trailer, and once they figure out that trying to sell the train or scrap it is likely to get them caught, they will dump it out somewhere inconspicuous at 2 AM.
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

If you store equipment in a trailer I recommend stashing a GPS tracker on it. It's not expensive and there are a bunch of them in the market. I have one that gives a daily heart beat and position, then alerts if the trailer moves. Once in motion it updates it's position every few minutes until motion stops. I can follow the track on a maps with my phone. https://www.automile.com/tracker-standard
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

while I do not think this will surface down our way, I will keep a look out for it. The tracking device above has caught my attention though. This is small enough to put inside a car or locomotive.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Additionally, it would be wise to put a LARGE PRINT number or a logo, image, on the roof of your trailer, similar to numbers painted atop transit buses. This may help in identifying from the air (or even an overpass...).
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Mike Walsh wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:39 pm Additionally, it would be wise to put a LARGE PRINT number or a logo, image, on the roof of your trailer, similar to numbers painted atop transit buses. This may help in identifying from the air (or even an overpass...).

Good idea. I've kept my trailer plain because I just don't like the look of lots of graphics, but this is something most worth doing. Perhaps a number on each side and rear, too. That still leaves no clue as to what's inside but might discourage a thief.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

And helps police instantly identify the trailer, as its being towed down the road, or parked somewhere. Any distinctive marking will help with that...

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Seem to recall this train set has been recovered. Can Anyone confirm?

LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Yes it was recovered....posted on Facebook.

Nyle