Milwaukee Road F7 Newbuild?

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
PilotBug

Milwaukee Road F7 Newbuild?

Post by PilotBug »

So, I am from Wisconsin as you may know. I have a proposal for a new build, The F7 Hudson from the Milwaukee Road. my reasons are the following:
1. all of them were cut up
2. Their historical significance, they were the fastest US steam locomotive... ever
3. would be a nice addition to the preserved Stream liner fleet in the USA.
4. Not many Milwaukee Road steam locomotives were preserved, let alone in operable condition.

now #5 is only a maybe, though would still be cool.
5. Possibly could be a push for modern steam tech, in that case, you could attempt to break Mallard's speed record. I propose that because, if we break it and it would be not extremely expensive, it could prove steam tech to the public, after all the fastest US passenger train only goes 150MPH, and along with that, breaking the record and pushing for advanced steam tech could be a publicity stunt for the cause.

now I am not asking to give me money. I am a Teen, so it would not be possible for me to do such.
I am more wondering if anyone thinks it is a good idea. and this is more something I wanna see happen, what are your thoughts? :)
Pontiacguy1

Re: Milwaukee Road F7 Newbuild?

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

There is a group trying to build a brand new Pennsylvania T1 4-4-4-4 locomotive. They have set up a trust fund, and have been at it for several years now. They are doing Exactly what you propose, trying to set the world steam speed record, but doing it with a different locomotive. It is estimated that it will take 10 million dollars to complete the T1. I'm not sure how much they have raised, but it isn't near 10 million yet.

This would be a 20+ year project, I think. If you are really into preservation and mainline steam, find some preservation group near you and go see what all they are working on. Just like with live steam clubs, find something near you and volunteer and get involved. That's the best way to get started and to find like-minded people in your area.

https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Nice to see that the Pennsy T1 Locomotive Trust is actually fabricating boiler and other parts now.
And that they acquired the sole surviving Pennsy long-haul 8-axle tender for restoration.
Let's hope this project works.
RussN
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:16 pm They are doing Exactly what you propose, trying to set the world steam speed record, but doing it with a different locomotive.
Irc they decided agents it. As it wouldn't really do anything (although this may have changed) one reason I see for it to be pointless is, unless you push for advanced steam, steam ain't coming back, so breaking Mallards speed record would be kinda pointless.

At least (hopefully with my proposal that will basically never happen) with my proposal it will be pushing for said advanced steam. And could somewhat justify pushing for 140MPH or more. Not to toot my own horn (pun intended) or be rude.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Ross Rowland has speculated the ex-CPR "Jubilee" 4-4-4, now discarded at Steamtown, might break that record.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

PRR5406 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:45 am Ross Rowland has speculated the ex-CPR "Jubilee" 4-4-4, now discarded at Steamtown, might break that record.
Well I wanna build the F7 newbuild and then break that record if it does, but I know I wont be able to :( oh well
PilotBug

Post by PilotBug »

and BTW here are some modifications I think would be good for pushing for Advanced Steam Technology
A booster Engine for more quick accelerations
A whistle instead of a horn the early F7s had
Set up to burn Bio Coal for more because it is more sustainable and less green house gasses
and pistons that allow for higher pressures along with a slightly higher boiler psi.

I also think it would be neat to have the number be the next one in the line if more were built
and maybe a nameplate