Looking for 4-6-6-4 NP Z-1

Discuss park gauge trains and large scale miniature railways having track gauges from 8" to 24" gauge and designed at scales of 2" to the foot or greater - whether modeled for personal use, or purpose built for amusement park operation or private railroading.

Moderators: Glenn Brooks, Harold_V

Forum rules
Topics may include: antique park gauge train restoration, preservation, and history; building new grand scale equipment from scratch; large scale miniature railway construction, maintenance, and safe operation; fallen flags; track, gauge, and equipment standards; grand scale vendor offerings; and, compiling an on-line motive power roster.
UPsteamfan

Looking for 4-6-6-4 NP Z-1

Post by UPsteamfan »

Hello friends

Many, many years ago my family attended the NMRA Northstar '99 convention in the twin cities. In one of our photo albums was a live steam railroad in a wooded area that had a 12" gauge NP Z-1 Challenger (wood burner), MILW Hiawatha (unsure of fuel), and a 4-4-0 (wood burner). Now me being only 5 at the time, I have no memory of the day. Anyone know of this railroad, maybe the owners, or any other photos.

Back to Funny Farm
Doc
Mike Walsh

Re: Looking for 4-6-6-4 NP Z-1

Post by Mike Walsh »

I've heard of this 12" gauge Challenger. You're right, it was a woodburner. I'm not sure who has it nowadays.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TirjG_CBLwg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ok, looks like the guy who owned the loco in 2008 is Don Johnson, in Ham Lake, Minnesota. It seems the guy who posted the video is also the same as the one who made the video, and he visited the site to take the video.

So two leads: try contacting the youtube channel guy who posted, or start sleuthing around the Ham Lake area. Might be the worlds greatest barn find...

( click the tiny carrot right side of the title line, underneath the video screen)

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I found this photo essay. It says the Challenger was built by Harry Johnson, Don's father. Clicking on the text at the bottom of the photo reveals more text.

https://waynelr.smugmug.com/Friends/Joh ... -Xbg42bt/A
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Says that all the locomotives got sold in 2013, so no longer there. I bet the track has been removed as well. It's rare that a railroad or collection like that survives very long after the passing of the original owner/builder. This one made it another dozen years or so after the death of the builder. You have to be impressed with what he was able to build.
UPsteamfan

Post by UPsteamfan »

Hello Friends
That is definitely the railroad I was referring to. It is a same that the railroad is lost to time and ownership. I have to say the 3 months it took to build the challenger is impressive. How many of use with small trains can say that. Even my 2-axle diesel took a year, and I'm not finished yet.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to start trying to find this locomotive. Would love to try and find it, and give it a new home on our farm.

Well back to the Funny Farm
Doc
Glenn Brooks

Re: Looking for 4-6-6-4 NP Z-

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Doc, I inquired about the loco with the St. Croix Life Steam club and received a reply from Tim, this morning. Apparently the May/June 2021 issue of Live Steam and Outdoor Railroading has a lengthy article about the Johnsons. Also Tim, said he might be able to track down someone who knows the family. I asked him to followup a bit and see if he can find a contact that might know about the loco. If you wish to follow up, also, email: info@stcroixrr.org.

FYI, Don Johnson’s recent obituary says Don is survived by one brother, Orville, who may be in his late 80’s, and several Nephews.

The video looks like the Challenger may have survived in the family ownership. So might be worth the effort to see what St Croix comes up with

Glenn

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Doc,

Quick followup, the StCroix RR contact advised just now, the loco was indeed sold into private hands back in ‘08 time frame, and runs occasionally on a private track - location undisclosed. So definitely not available any more from the Johnson family.

Glenn

UPsteamfan

Post by UPsteamfan »

Hello Friends
Nice to hear that the engine is still running. I also think that means sale is possibly out of the picture.

Back to the Funny Farm
Doc
NP317

Post by NP317 »

" I also think that means sale is possibly out of the picture."

You never know. Don't be afraid to ask when you find the present owner(s).
RussN